AIG - Good Company thats in an time of transition and change | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AIG

"Good Company thats in an time of transition and change"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in New York, NY

Pros

You will get a lot of experience quickly...there are lots of opportunities for advancement or international assignments.

Cons

poor systems, uneven communication, old-school thinking

Advice to Management

More communication...more willingness to change

Other Employee Reviews for AIG

1. "Sad how quickly a great company has been run aground by incompetence"

Current Employee - WELL WISHER in New York, NY
    Current Employee - WELL WISHER in New York, NY

Pros

Large company; good business model; globally diversifiedhn

Cons

It was good till Greenberg was around; after that Sullivan was a good man but bad CEO. His deputies were mediocre at best - and this ruined the company

Advice to Management

Stop hiring consultants to make up for mid-management incompetence and hire competent VPs and SVPS from outside

2. "Amazing company...hoping we will be back in the black again soon."

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Amazing size, sophistication and complexity. You can grow in experience and responsibility as fast as you can handle it. I've been with AIG for more than 10 years and have learned more than I think I would have anywhere else. Other insurance companies seem so slow to move forward and actually get stuff done. AIG is always evaluating and re-evaluating what we are doing. Is this the right approach? How can we do it better? What's the right way.....don't just keep doing it one way because we always have. And, there's an increased focus on doing things more consistently across divisions, globally. I think we are going to be so much stronger and better in the next 12 to 18 months.

Cons

Recently, the stock value has been killing us. Also, the size can be overwhelming at times. Communication is a challenge because of this. As a leader in the insurance industry, AIG is always in the spotlight. This is definitely a double edged sword. Things are easily blown out of proportion and misunderstood by the outside world...and then AIG has to react and waste money and resources on the wrong things at times, just to appease the public eye. For example, we are one of the most diverse organizations in the world, but we had to form a diversity department, with high paid salaries. Some of this is good, but I think we may be spending too much money in this area. Also, it seems some people used to manage people and even when their jobs change and they lose their staff, they're still here, collecting a high salary and doing "special projects", at a high expense to AIG. While this is a nice thing for the individual, I don't think we can afford it as a company.

Advice to Management

Reduce all the overhead....high paid consultants and senior managers without any staff, too much money spent on diversity group, too many home office marketing people, especially at industry events...people definitely notice this as unecessary expense.