AIG - Nice environment to work and learn new things, probably not a good timing with AIG situation. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AIG

"Nice environment to work and learn new things, probably not a good timing with AIG situation."

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

They have the best technology money can buy. Equipments are up to date. Never a mundane work place. Projects are interesting and keep you challenged. Most people are friendly towards each other with client focus in mind. Managers are understanding and flexible. They allow you to work from home as long as you have a valid reason and not abuse it.

Cons

Daily long hours of work and weekend work is frequent if you are in Technology. Off shore consultants are incompetent to say the least. A bit bureaucratic with structured processes. It is mainly for SarBox and audit but it could get the way of completing tasks needed to accomplish. Strict compliance rules and regulations for personal trading, don’t even think about "day trading".

Advice to Management

There are more than twice the amount of consultants than employees. Let go the ones that are not producing results.

Other Employee Reviews for AIG

1. "Large company. Some benefits. Not always. Decent pay."

Current Employee - Claim Representative. in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Claim Representative. in Birmingham, AL

Pros

The insurance industry is a relatively stable industry. There is always a need for insurance. I think that Allstate has a very good balance between size and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

I think the advantages of working in the insurance industry are also a disadvantage at Allstate. The company is very large. As a result, it can be easy to become lost in a large company within the insurance industry. Allstate is one of the largest insurers in the insurance industry. There is sometimes a need for more individualization in some of the largest components. There is often a need to be recognized as an indidvidual.

Advice to Management

Be creative. There is a need for creativity in the insurance industry. The Dilbert principle is often a possible key component.

2. "AIG Underwriting"

Current Employee - Underwritting Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Underwritting Technician in Chicago, IL

Pros

The feeling of stability. You get recognition for going above and beyond what is expected of you. They will give you every chance to develop your career. I feel my management is very knowledgeable and easy to get along with. Everyone in my department is willing to help and teach me so that I can fully understand what I am doing.

Cons

When it rains, it pours. The company match for the 401K plan does not maximize your investment potential until you have been at the company 10 years. Medical and other benefits are in line with what my peers are offered in other offices. You are unable to access your personal benefit statement at home. If you want to make changes, you need to do it at work. Sometimes that makes me feel like my privacy is being invaded, whether its by IT security's abilty to see personal and private information, or from people walking by my cube.

Advice to Management

Get us out of this financial mess and get back on track with the stock. Ed Liddy seems like a very good choice for our new CEO. Hopefully his tenure with AIG is long term.