AIG - Overall Happy. | Glassdoor

"Overall Happy."

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor. in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor. in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

It is very similar to running your own business. I have a lot of freedom to make sure I do right by my customers. All of the management team has been promoted from lower positions. This company is very strong on promoting from within. I am a young supervisor, but they took a chance on me even though I don't have a lot of management experience.

Cons

Bad employees are feared by management. They fear that they will get sued. Good employees are held to consistent procedures, but exceptions are made for the bad employees. I have employees that have been on multiple written warnings, but have never been fired (just more warnings).

Advice to Management

Fire the bad employees. They are frustrating the rest of us. I would also like to add that they should keep the supervisors off of the phones because it keeps the support away from the employees that need them.

Other Employee Reviews for AIG

1. "AIG is a good place to start, better place to leave."

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

AIG provides a good work/life balance, a steep learning curve, and more than enough access to continuing education. The workload is high, but the work is more interesting than at other insurers.

Cons

Unfortunately, AIG pays below industry average. In addition, the management structure is extremely flat and governed by an archaic set of rules for advancement. Each division has a lack of managerial support, highlighted by the fact that many in senior roles are coasting to retirement.

Advice to Management

Senior management should first learn how to type and email. Then, they need to learn how to WORK, not just delegate. They need to learn to respect the knowledge of junior professionals, and communicate more efficiently.

2. "so-so"

Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

Pros

Big company. ok benefits, worldwide name

Cons

Very little upward mibility, low salaries

Advice to Management

Challenge your staff