Cover image for AKIRA

Former Employee

Stylist

Nov 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-You get the occasional customer who is really nice to talk to and you can style for over an hour and they'll buy some items. -Styling is fun and very fast paced, so the shift goes by quickly. -30% discount. -Freedom to wear whatever you want. -Helps you with becoming more open in conversation and outgoing and just better at sales obviously. -Carry adidas, champion, etc.

Cons

-Unequal pay, you start off with a different salary than the rest of the stylists (I was under 18 at the time and got 4% commission and $5 something base pay) but I am positive others got more than me, I was just manipulated due to my age even though I had much job and interning experience. -I got yelled at for not selling like 3 items per transaction, only 1.9 on average yet I sold the most that day and usually the managers sell the most. -Manager will one moment act like your best friend and two minutes later be the biggest monster. -The whole brand has overly high expectations for what they are and how much they pay. -There would sometimes be 2 other stylists booked with me on like a Wednesday afternoon and so it would be nearly impossible to make over $6 an hour. -Manager forcing you to close the store usually as late as 3 hours after closing even if you had high school classes at 7:30 am the next day. -The staff is very clique-y, over invested in Akira, and ageist. -Disorganized management. -The people who have worked Akira for more than a year life's are centered around just Akira and don't have much going for them. -Difficult to get hired. -More respected employees who have worked there longer can easily steal costumers and commission from newer employees, but if the situation is reversed you will be close to getting fired. -Each store is managed so differently from the next. -Make it seem like you have a chance to begin a career as a real career stylist, but never really happens.

1 person found this review helpful

AKIRA Response

Hey ! I’m sorry that was your experience, please reach out to recruiting@shopakira.com with more details. Thanks for the feedback !

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Love my job

Nov 16, 2022 - Ops Manager in Beachwood, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers love that I can be myself here

Cons

No downside here for me love my job

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A Great Growth Opportunity

Nov 16, 2022 - Visual Operations Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love being able to have creative freedom & work with a team that is passionate about knowing & taking care of the clients. This is a different retail from any place I’ve ever worked in a positive way!

Cons

Retail is not for the week.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about AKIRA.

AKIRA Photos

+ Add Photo
AKIRA photo of: Akira Warehouse
AKIRA photo of: Friends For Life!
AKIRA photo of: Corporate Costume Contest!
AKIRA photo of: Taraji P. Hensen !
AKIRA photo of: Costume Contest!
AKIRA photo of: AKIRA Manager Party!
AKIRA photo of: Corporate Pumpkin Carving!

AKIRA Job Seekers Also Viewed