AKQA - AKQA great for creative centric initiateves, stay away if you're a technologist or front end developer | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AKQA

"AKQA great for creative centric initiateves, stay away if you're a technologist or front end developer"

Former Employee - CRD in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - CRD in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work on exciting brands, .25 cent snacks in vending machine, monday bagels

Cons

No process on delivering complex engagements outside of microsites, very bottom heavy with inexperienced project managment

Advice to Management

Stick with campaigns, social media, and other creative initiatives, otherwise leave complex projects to other digital agencies that understand what it takes to deliver

Other Employee Reviews for AKQA

"Good company, but feels like it's in the middle of some kind of transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time

Pros

I like my colleagues
    Smart people
    A-list clients
    Management genuinely cares about the company and the people

Cons

Each department head definitely has favorite employees - some are extremely talented, some not so much, but they can do no wrong. The issue is that some non-favorite employees aren't given the same opportunities to perform.
    Retention is an issue - there are a ton of new people right now.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to work-life balance and burning people out

"Good culture, less than ideal management. process, and compensation."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Attitudes at this company are good. The people are relaxed, friendly, and generally approachable. Managers do their best to ship deliverables. The benefits, while not great, are good enough. AKQA is fairly lax with their rules--extra vacation time, work-from-home, etc with good reason is OK--though this does depend on your role. Software Engineers like myself have quite a bit of latitude, since we don't have to be in the office to get stuff done. There's lots to love about this workplace.

Cons

I read that compensation levels were low before I started, but we're talking about a 40% pay difference between this job and another programming gig. Comp decisions are made at a high level in the company. The managers in IT are hamstrung: they're not able to pay market level for their developers.

Consequently, the team can't retain talent and the morale dips frequently as people churn. This counters the "pros" above: turnover means more work for those left behind. And when they start looking, they inevitably jump ship for better compensation and more diverse technical challenges.

Advice to Management

Pay your technical staff more. While AKQA is a major contender in the digital ad space, working at an agency as a software professional is almost a *liability*. I know this because in subsequent interviews I've seen a lot of head-scratching and doubting about my abilities. If you want to in-house your development work, you should be willing to pay what it takes to get and retain awesome programmers. You're not. Also, consider more engagement in language communities in the Bay Area. If you're doing interesting things (and if you pay enough), they will come.