ALDI - Good first job but not worth the money in the long run. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ALDI

"Good first job but not worth the money in the long run."

Former Employee - District Manager in Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - District Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at ALDI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits were good. Good opportunity for a recent grad.

Cons

Company is stuck in the Stone Age. A lack of technology makes communication slow and time consuming. The pay is great for being right of college but after a few short months they throw you to the wolves running a store. 70-80 hours a week is common and basically expected while running a store. Once you finish training and take over a territory your hours stay about the same. The only way to move up in the company is to work yourself to death and show upper management that you care about nothing but your job. There is a lot of turn over at the DM level and many burn out quickly. In the division I worked in there were very few DM's over the age of 40 because most would quit or be fired by then.

Advice to Management

More training needs to be done on being a DM not a Store Manager. If the company would focus less on productivity and more on their employees quality of life the amount of turn over at all levels would be reduced drastically.

Other Employee Reviews for ALDI

"They pay well, and you earn every penny of it."

Current Employee - Cashier in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Champaign, IL

I have been working at ALDI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you put forth the effort, you are rewarded for it. Their promotions are not based on seniority, but on performance.

Cons

You work your tail off. It is a very physical job, regardless of you're a cashier, store manager, or district manager.

"Don't waste your time"

Current Employee - Cashier in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at ALDI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay. For my area Cashier pay was $12 an hour. Which is really really good considering other grocery stores in this area pay minimum wage. The customers were all really great.

Cons

This place is a joke. I was so excited when I got hired. On my first day I filled out all necessary new hire paperwork, met the store manager and other shift managers and thought to myself "this place is going to be amazing to work at!" I was very very wrong. My "training" consisted of watching videos and "practicing" on a computer for 4 hours. I had no clue as to where anything in the store was, and any requests to help out with stock were shot down. I was told I could "wander around on your break and check out the store." I don't think so. They have unrealistic expectations of employees. I am just upset that I wasted a month, and turned down other job offers in order to work for this company.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Have enough people on staff. It's a grocery store, not NASA.