AMC Entertainment - Good Part Time Job for Students. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AMC Entertainment

"Good Part Time Job for Students."

Current Employee - Film Crew in Las Vegas, NV
Current Employee - Film Crew in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at AMC Entertainment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movies, free popcorn and courtesy sized cup of soda or icee, flexible work schedule, discounts on hot foods, easy work, easy to make friends, nice managers, and nice supervisors.

Cons

Low pay, not enough hours, weird shift hours, unfair promotions, limit on amount of people that can go to free movies with you, and sometimes the managers don't care about issues.

Advice to Management

Do not promote based off favorite employees because it is unfair for the workers that work there longer and work harder.

Other Employee Reviews for AMC Entertainment

1. "AMC"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Country Club Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Country Club Hills, IL

I worked at AMC Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

movie discounts
    fun atmosphere
    low turn over rate

Cons

long hours
    standing on feet all day

"Fun work environment, free movies... but low pay."

Current Employee - Film Crew in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Film Crew in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at AMC Entertainment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-They use a very effective Workbrain System for clocking in/out, requesting days off, and sending messages to managers. You can easily send a day off request from your home computer. Most other jobs would force you to make the requests in person or handwritten on a board!

-Obviously, the free movies. This is an amazing benefit and I try to see at least 2 a week to keep myself educated on current releases and to improve my writing quality.

-Good co-workers. AMC hires people that are friendly and intelligent, and it shows when we are working together or just conversing during a slow period.

-Free popcorn and soda when you work + discounts on just about every food item. (They even have discounts on candy and ice cream now... back in 2005 they did not!)

-Based on AMC surveys, we can also get free food/discount food when we're not even working, and our theater has been hitting those goals more often than not.

-While the hours are not always enough lately, if you work hard, they will make an effort to give you as many hours as they can.

-Some people don't enjoy it, but I enjoy the challenge of selling people Stubs.

Cons

-From what I was told, they no longer offer commission for achieving high sales numbers. In my first stint here in 2005-07, if someone made $2000+ (concession) or $10,000+ (Box Office), they would get something like a 1% commission... it would end up being $20-$30 added to a daily shift, so 4 hours of work or so. But that is no longer around.

-The "crew bucks" have some decent bonuses but they are rather limited in how they can be used.

-You get minimum wage and they no longer offer raises for learning new tasks like Concession or Box Office. Raises only come through the six-month evaluations that employees receive.

-Some guests can be rude, and others are a bit too polite. They may have no interest in Stubs whatsoever, but will let you go through your whole sales technique before declining the offer.

-We are limited to 28 hrs average (weekly) per month... so you might get 35-40 hrs a week on a holiday week, but then only 2 or 3 short shifts when it's a slow week.

Advice to Management

Bring back some form of cash-based commission, not just the crew bucks.