AMD - Ok place to work for junior to intermediate employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AMD

"Ok place to work for junior to intermediate employees"

Former Employee - Program Manager II in Markham, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Program Manager II in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at AMD full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work with the leading edge of technology. Some of the smartest people you will ever run into. Some of the hardest working people you will ever run into. Definitely excellent for new graduates.

Cons

From intermediate (Manager, Program Manager1, etc. ) and upwards, the environment becomes increasingly political. Contribution and "getting it done" becomes less important than "visibility", managing up, and "messaging". Much work is done to "Make the VP look good in front of his peers". This is often to the detriment of the company.

Advice to Management

Work very hard to change the culture into one that values work, and reporting the un-coloured truth.
Many at the working levels are putting their faith in the hope the new CEO and his team will remove/replace some of the entrenched senior directors, CVPs and VPs so that the culture has a chance to change.

Other Employee Reviews for AMD

1. "struggling company, very good life/work balance"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at AMD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very flexible working hours, friendly team

Cons

struggling company, can't compete with others on benefit wise. losing talents.

2. "In general, pretty good. The teams I've been on and interacted with closely have been pretty tight-knit teams."

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at AMD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's a mix of startup and corporate mentality, depending on the team, which can be a pro if you're inclined in one direction. It's not as much politics and corporateness as say a large financial institution. The teams I've worked with closely have generally been pretty good, but then I don't interact with that much of the company as a whole.

Cons

With a company this size, there are some politics, especially when you throw in different sites, and the corporateness. Also, interacting with different sites across the globe is actually quite a pain sometimes due to time zone differences and some language issues. I think you get all the cons of a company of this size in general just because you can't avoid it.

Advice to Management

Things could be better streamlined, but I'm on the technical side so that might just be a biased opinion on my part there..