AMD - Good team or people but too much fat in the executive row! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AMD

"Good team or people but too much fat in the executive row!"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Good people and teamwork. The tough competitive environment makes the success of each project counts and demands innovative ideas. You'll take on more responsibilities than in a bigger company. AMD always gives back to its community through donations and volunteer works

Cons

Management, management, and management! Top management doesn't know how to evaluate deals or make good decisions. There isn't enough accountability on senior executives. The company is extremely top heavy. Communivation from management is poor and employees are usually the last to know any news.

Advice to Management

Get rid of half the VPs and Directors, then hire more people who actually know how to deliver.

Other Employee Reviews for AMD

1. "Move on...."

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

.People are the biggest asset, but egos get in the way or progress. Good ideas go by the way side and egos rule; just look at the stock price.

Cons

AMD fails to realize that people are its biggest asset.

Advice to Management

Management is arrogant, and has inflated egos. Even in the face of disaster, the troops march into the fire.

2. "No place is perfect but AMD sure beats a lot of them"

Current Employee - Internal Communications in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Internal Communications in Austin, TX

Pros

I love the people I work with. They are all dedicated and passionate, intelligent and hard working but they also know how to have fun. My particular manager is extremely flexible about when and where I work and encourages work-life balance. My manager is very quick to praise and I feel genuinly appreciated for the work I do. My immediate management chain is very open and communicates information readily. Our current benefits package is outstanding.

Cons

We have been experiencing some difficult financial times and as a result, bonuses and raises have been negligible. There is little focus on process which has created a great deal of execution issues as the company has expanded rapidly in the last 5 years. Projects can be difficult to implement because of endless rounds of approvals.

Advice to Management

Get more process focused. Empower employees to make decisions - which means sometimes they may make ones you don't like. The constant fear that "management" won't like it means that instead of acting, even minor issues have to be run up the chain of command, slowing implementation time. Encourage educated risk-taking.