AMF Bowling - I fully applied myself and was given opportunties to grow as a person and responsible employee. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AMF Bowling

"I fully applied myself and was given opportunties to grow as a person and responsible employee."

Former Employee - Front Desk in San Marcos, CA
Former Employee - Front Desk in San Marcos, CA

Pros

Flexible schedule - will work around your personal schedule.
Cross-training/variety - opportunity to work in different areas in the bowling center.
Fun - the environment is generally positive. Regular league bowlers make shifts fun and people bowling for recreational fun keep things new.

I went above and beyond my job description and was noticed for it. I was given the opportunity to work in other areas and found the roles that I liked the best. I was given the extra responsiblity I asked for and was praised for it.

Cons

Favoritism - management often played favorites.
Hours - employees always tended to be asking for more hours.
Pay - most start at minimum wage with no experience. shift leaders tend to make about $10/hr but anyone in a lower position will not make much over $9, no matter the amount of responsibilty they have.
Morale - employee morale was definitely weakened by management's extreme focus on meeting numbers. We were pressured to help meet numbers so the managers could get their bonuses, but there was no extra benefit to us except a sense of accomplishment.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employees while you are trying to meet your numbers. Set up a system where employees can be rewarded when numbers are met or when they go and beyond their role. Clearly specify the expectations and responsibilties of all employee positions, especially management.

Other Employee Reviews for AMF Bowling

1. "requires specialty knowledge, entails looming hearing loss and injury with mediocre pay."

Current Employee - Mechanic in Pinole, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Pinole, CA

Pros

one dollar game discounts, ability to work with your hands, problem solving, responsibility, and the opportunity to work at your own pace most times.

Cons

Very noisy being a mechanic, dangerous machines with lots of moving mechanical parts which require compromising body positions to fix machine malfunctions by means of repair and replace.

Advice to Management

The impression that is given from the management to the employees is that of the central importance of revenue, stringent protocol, and that being a manager at AMF is characterized by thoughtless subordination.

"No Quality of Life"

Former Employee - General Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - General Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Bowling and food discounts are nice. Some really cool customers and employees. Fairly decent feedback by District Manager most times.

Cons

You will work 60 hours MINIMUM per week if you want to have any chance of success. Very punitive atmosphere . .can be fired for minimal reasoning.

Advice to Management

Coach and develop rather than look for ways to fire or cut back hours. Stop playing favorites with all employees.