AOL - Big Improvement | Glassdoor

"Big Improvement"

Current Employee - Director in Dulles, VA
Current Employee - Director in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture has definitely improved - I've seen a positive change in how teams are collaborating
Getting hired here has gotten harder - which was much needed. Starting to see much better talent coming in, which is pushing folks who have been here awhile to step up their game or leave. The business is stronger than it has been in years. Great work/life flexibility and strong support for philanthropy and volunteerism.

Cons

Some employees don't handle the constant changes and shifts well. You have to be extremely adaptable to be happy here. We need to do better job at managing low performers out faster.

Advice to Management

Get better at assessing exec talent coming in - especially culturally - you've made some mistakes. Stop worrying about 'selling' the job to someone and focus on whether that person can inspire positive change in the ranks.

Other Employee Reviews for AOL

1. "Bad time for the company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free beer and lots of parties.

Cons

Constant layoffs and restructuring. Creating chaos when there is none. No vision.

Advice to Management

In fairness, I was there at a rough time of transition. Most of the management at AOL Advertising has gone. My advice: Put strategic thinkers in management positions. Spend less money on parties and more in budgets. If you need to have layoffs, do them all at once. Multiple rounds of layoffs throughout the year leave people scared for their jobs, often doing what makes them look good rather than what is best for the company.

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my jobs at AOL. Got opportunity to take various roles, co-workers were friendly and helpful.

Cons

Constant layoffs impacted morale of employees.