AOL - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dulles, VA
Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture: Things have really started to turn around over the last few years with Tim Armstrong. People really seem to work well together and while we still have our challenges ahead, I really feel a culture of winning in the air.
Comp: Compensation is fair and overall better than most companies in the industry/area.
Flexibility: For the most part, we are empowered to do our job where and how we do it best to get the job done.
Transparency: Our leaders have done an admirable job of keeping the masses informed about the state of the business, the current initiatives and challenges without placating. They treat us like adults, imagine that!
Career Growth: The paths to growing your career are many. It's fairly self-directed, but very attainable.

Cons

Change is the only constant. If you can't handle change, look somewhere else. You have to be able to thrive in an environment where you may work on something for months only to have it no longer be part of the strategy. If you can shrug it off and say "what's next", you'll love it, otherwise it can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Be deliberate in your hiring of senior executives and make sure they are culture-appropriate, not just the hot name in the industry. You've proven with some of the mis-hires that that way doesn't work.

Other Employee Reviews for AOL

1. "Incredibly diverse workforce, a pleasure to work for"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Sterling, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

competitive salaries and growth opportunities

Cons

new CEO rigidly requires college degree

Advice to Management

Be more flexible! This used to be a fabulous company to work for!

2. "Roll of the Dice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good paying, swank office (Beverly Hills), fun place, covered underground parking, clean restrooms, top of the line equipment, free food, free BEER (yes, you read that right) and free bicycles to ride around the neighborhood on for lunch or dinner

Cons

So the all of the above sounds great, right? Well, trouble in paradise hits when you have constant lack of job security! AOL is kind of a dysfunctional company, constantly trying to re-invent itself. Currently it's under the dominion of Arianna Huffington, who, on a whim, decided she didn't need my branch of the AOL government anymore! And it doesn't help when your left kind of directionless, which is due to poor communication from management. Although the flip-side to that coin might be ok if you don't like someone hovering over your shoulder all the time...

Advice to Management

Talk to people underneath you more often and it won't be so awkward when you check in on them every three weeks!