AOL - Good place to work if you can get past overall company morale | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AOL

"Good place to work if you can get past overall company morale"

Former Employee - Senior Business Planning Manager in Dulles, VA
Former Employee - Senior Business Planning Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good work-life balance and good benefits. great daycare

Cons

company morale, inertia, too many complacent employees whose morale has been long gone

Advice to Management

put the focus back on product

Other Employee Reviews for AOL

1. "great team"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

telecommuted, flexible, good benefits. I never go the opportunity to visit an actual AOL office my entire term there. so my opinions are strictly from a remote standpoint. I think the company is fairly friendly to telecommuters.

Cons

not much choice in what teams you can move between, but that may have been partly due to telecommuting. I think teams could be more enabled than they are. Several groups seemed very top down and didnt allow teams to figure out the best way to solve problems.

Advice to Management

Empower teams, let them innovate, try to not be top down.

"Terrible place to work for talented developers"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was a fun place to work for the first few years I worked there, but the ratio of managers to developers became higher and higher over time.

Cons

Very "top-heavy" - some projects on which I worked as a senior software engineer had almost 50% management. The management is proficient at political maneuvering but inept at independently making competent decisions. The bureaucracy is so bad, they had to use outside firms to develop new products/software. Owners of these outside companies were often personal friends of those AOL managers which hired them.

Advice to Management

Hint: build products and services that customers not only want but are also willing to pay for. Making money is not a crime.

Another hint: if you put advertisements on it is NOT sufficient reason to for a customer to come to an AOL site.

Overall, the company is very "top-heavy" - some projects on which I worked as a senior software engineer had almost 50% management. The management is proficient at political maneuvering but inept at independently making competent decisions. Everything had to be done by committee ("scrum") - and frequently that committee included neither the people who would pay for the services (i.e. the customers) nor the people who would build the services (i.e., the developers). The bureaucracy is so bad, they had to use outside firms to develop new products/software. Owners of these outside companies were often personal friends of those AOL managers which hired them.