AOL - Even those who leave say they'd go back to work for AOL for the right opportunity. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AOL

"Even those who leave say they'd go back to work for AOL for the right opportunity."

Former Employee - Editorial in Dulles, VA
Former Employee - Editorial in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creative, high energy environment. Genuine emphasis on helping employees be their best (i.e. lots of un-university courses, socials. Genuine commitment to community (Dulles VA employees by the hundreds helped buy and load enought goods to fill an an 18-wheeler, for Hurricane Sandy ravaged residents in NY/NY. Strong emphasis on being healthy. Great help desk support. Great benefits

Cons

Tremendous turnover in upper management results in break-neck changes in strategies and staff relations. Our group was hot one year and dumped the next.

Other Employee Reviews for AOL

1. "A once great company"

Pros

Company included many innovative and intelligent people.

Cons

There were continuous rounds of layoffs (one major round of layoffs every 2-3 months). Management was not able to provide direction resulting in low morale within the teams supported. After the merger, AOL and TW continued to operate as two different companies and managers of each company never worked together to build on the capabilities of each team. The company is now a shell of what it used to be.

2. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Dulles, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great Managers who care and have lots of expertise
    - Lots of resources to learn online through company
    - Learned a lot from co-workers and managers

Cons

- Felt sometimes my managers were overworked and under-compensated (was the only reason I did not join full-time with company as I didn't want that to be me one day)

Advice to Management

Seems a very top-down approach is still there..... give more power to middle managers/ (jr/sr) project managers since they seem to be the ones doing most of the work.