AOL - A family friendly company that is a perfect balance for my lifestage at this moment." | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AOL

"A family friendly company that is a perfect balance for my lifestage at this moment.""

Current Employee - Director in Beverly Hills, CA
Current Employee - Director in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family friendly, general pervasiveness of work-life balance attitude, collaborative & optimistic culture (within the Beverly Hills office), dog friendly (within the Beverly Hills office), VP level executives appear approachable and collaborative, awesome original/premium written & video content for a digital/tech company, pioneer of programmatic revolution.

Cons

Brands (aka, Huffington Post, Patch) work very separately from corporate AOL including with product management/business operations/most important decisions, sellers rely on specialists too much which makes every sale very expensive and keeps sellers' knowledge relatively poor of company's products, consumer experiences are not reaching scale successfully, mobile consumer experiences are not invested in enough, decision making is vague and ambiguous, direction of AOL corporate is not clear, horrible external corporate branding is not getting fixed so consumer perception of AOL brand is still poor, politics with industry personality corporate leaders, talent/skill varies widely (not an exceptional standard throughout the company)

Advice to Management

I get the big bets on programmatic. But we also need to make some bets on consumer experience with some refreshed talent on a corporate level (bigger level than just within a brand). Maybe some acquisitions in our near future? Also, product need some time to breathe and cultivate with resources dedicated to them if they were allowed to initiate. We'll never create anything good if we don't allow it to grow.

Other Employee Reviews for AOL

"Fantastic experience with a group that was essentially a startup within AOL."

Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dedicated and competent team. Close knit environment.

Cons

Poor strategic planning from corporate within the space we were working in.

2. "A Contractor that watched poor choices many times"

Former Contractor - Product Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Contractor - Product Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good people there and good pay as a contractor. It was also rather flexible and relaxed in the office.

Cons

Lots of changes in direction and overall poor choices like the commitment to Patch. Due to poor choices regarding what to fund I saw many people get laid off, some of which were there for many years and had tons of knowledge that was essential to the workings of AOL systems.

Advice to Management

Hint: Listen to your customers. When I was there I looked in to a customer feedback link for CORE services only to find out that #1 it was broken, #2 nobody was reading the feedback and #3 nobody had any power to respond or react to the feedback.