AQR Capital Management - Great place | Glassdoor

"Great place"

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice and intelligent people
dynamic environment
opportunity to succeed for truly exceptional talent

Cons

a lot of pressure
very competitive people
no future growth if you are not a top performer

Other Employee Reviews for AQR Capital Management

"Growing tech"

Former Intern - Research Development in Greenwich, CT
    Former Intern - Research Development in Greenwich, CT

I worked at AQR Capital Management as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Stocked kitchen and meal stipends (although $10 for lunch is a bit of a stretch on Greenwich Ave)
    - Black car service when working late
    - Knowledgable and very (very!) friendly coworkers
    - Very collaborative environment
    - Interesting work
    - Really nice company events
    - Easy to commute to from the city (though commuting wears on you quickly)
    - Great place to learn about the financial industry if you come from a tech background, but you need to be willing to reach out to people and take advantage of the resources they give you.

Cons

- A surprisingly large number of employees had a weirdly negative attitude/perspective with respect to the firm. People are not drinking the Kool-Aid here.

- Even as a front office research developer, I found myself distant from the researchers most of the time (this was probably just an internship thing, though--full-timers in my position seemed to work very closely with researchers every day).

- Sizable amount of technical debt

- Located in Greenwich, CT

Advice to Management

- If you want to attract and retain talented technologists from top schools, you need to rebrand. The outwardly academic image of the company isn't attracting grads who are also looking at Jane Street, Two Sigma, and DE Shaw, or even actual tech companies like Google and Microsoft. I know that Neal (who is fantastic, by the way) is trying to make AQR more of a tech company, but that wasn't the same message or vibe I got from the other partners.

- Intern pay and housing should be more competitive given the universities AQR hires from. I know of at least one candidate who was offered an internship and decided to go to a competitor due to the small housing stipend and slightly lower monthly compensation, despite liking AQR. It'd be a great idea to get a few apartments in Stamford or in Midtown Manhattan near GCT for interns. This would really help with intern bonding and eliminate the stress of finding housing for the summer.

- There should be a more structured educational program for tech interns, similar to what is offered to the research interns. This would be a stellar addition to the internship, and would definitely help bridge the gap between technologists and researchers.

- Make it easier for interns to work remotely. Being able to work on the train would make the commute from NYC so much more doable. There were several times during my internship I wish I had remote access because I didn't want to stay in the office to wait for something to finish on the cluster.

- Switch to Linux or OSX. Developing on Windows is soul-crushing (I'm half-joking).

- Give interns a second monitor--it's a small thing that would've significantly improved my workflow.

"Good name to leverage for exit opportunities"

Former Employee - Analyst in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Analyst in Greenwich, CT

I worked at AQR Capital Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast, lunch and dinner
    Some of the academics are really smart and great to be around
    Located right on train station

Cons

Pay is lower than comparable firms
    Turnover is very high, some teams hit 30-50% easily at analyst/associate level
    Its maturing from an exciting cool place (back in 2011ish) to a large scale asset manager and that transition has been rocky at best for less senior employees

Advice to Management

Show up to the office and engage with employees