ARCADIS - So far so good | Glassdoor

"So far so good"

Current Employee - Marketing & Proposal Development
Current Employee - Marketing & Proposal Development

I have been working at ARCADIS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ARCADIS seems to really care about the development and growth of its employees. Great benefits and a good work environment. Because of its size and growth model, there are numerous areas for advancement.

Cons

The company is run by people with a technical background. Growth seems to be limited to a certain level without formal education and hands on experience in the field. Not necessarily a bad thing, the reality of working in this industry.

Other Employee Reviews for ARCADIS

"Good job, good company - hard work"

Current Employee - Associate Vice President
    Current Employee - Associate Vice President

I have been working at ARCADIS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are really the best...colleagues, support staff, management...if you take the time to build your personal networks and take personal responsibility to gather information you need, you can be very successful and satisfied. I have yet to find anyone unwilling to talk to me or give me information or support. In my experience, management (individual and as a group) genuinely care about the staff and the company, but may not always have the time to communicate to each individual or the power to make significant changes for that individual when they must consider the total population and equalizing performance and reward systems.

Cons

Like any growing company today with a responsibility to shareholders, business metrics are demanding and high pressure environment is everwhere, every day. However, unless you have some kind of dream job somewhere, I don't think it is that different than any other economically challenged company with productivity requirements to make the bottom line. Like many companies, ARCADIS is what you make of it. If you go in with a negative attitude, or don't take charge of creating a rewarding experience doing everything you can yourself, you'll be very unhappy here or anywhere.

Advice to Management

Work even harder to communicate to staff how to be successful. Be open and transparent about what is important to the business and why tough decisions must be made. Recognize group and individual achievements. Ask staff to "be in it together" with management in keeping the company successful in tough economic times.

"Stressful and unrewarding"

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer I
    Former Employee - Environmental Engineer I

Pros

Good work/life balance.
    Flexible work schedule
    Interesting projects (when there was work)

Cons

Very little recognition
    Project managers constantly bashing upper management for their business and MBA backgrounds (huge superiority issues with engineers who think they are better than people with business backgrounds simply because they are engineers)
    Unprofessional environment
    Very low office moral - sadly no one seemed happy and many people complained about being underpaid (very unprofessional)
    Supervisors with little to no personal skills - I had quarterly lunch outings with my supervisor to get her feedback on my work (which she initiated) and it was like pulling teeth because she couldn't handle having a conversation. Luckily I'm pretty outgoing so I was able to keep the conversation going. She never brought up feedback (which was the whole point of us going to lunch) until I brought it up. She gave me a generic 30 second feedback speech that she probably Googled and that was that. It was so evident how uncomfortable being in a social situation was for her it was just so painful to sit through it. I sincerely felt so bad for her!
    Extremely poor communication between project managers
    Male superiority issues
    Extreme favoring of male entry level engineers over entry level female engineers
    No training or guidance whatsoever
    No definite career path for entry level engineers. One guy was a level 1 for 5 years...not sure why he didn't go find a new job. He could be making 25k more per year like me.
    Stressful billable hours that my supervisor never explained to me until I was in trouble

Not a good place to work if you are expecting to receive any sort of guidance or training. I did get to work on some interesting projects, but didn't learn nearly as much because of lack of guidance. If you did something incorrectly, some project managers wouldn't correct you, instead they would talk about how dumb you are behind your back, and it would eventually get back to you. It really is "Sink or Swim"

Advice to Management

My advice would be to try not to force upper level engineers into supervisor positions if they don't have the right personality. There were many people (including my supervisor) who were not fit to be in a supervisor position. Supervisors need to have leadership skills and a desire to be mentors to entry level engineers. Unfortunately that was not the case in many situations.