AT&T - Tech opportunities with a large company | Glassdoor
  1. "Tech opportunities with a large company"

Principal Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX

I worked at AT&T for more than 10 years

Pros

Stimulating colleagues provide an atmosphere that promotes technical growth. Both formal and informal training opportunities exist for those interested in career enhancement.

Cons

The current year (2017) is one of many organizational changes due to company acquisitions. Business and technical practices need to be aligned, and there is some concern about redundancies between AT&T and the acquired businesses. Technical development is usually done by third-party contract companies, with testing, oversight, and management performed by in-house employees, most recently using and AGILE... framework. This is a 'con' only if you want a lot of hands-on development work.

Advice to Management

If you are a manager responsible for remote employees, due your utmost to keep them closely aligned with team efforts and activity. Collaboration via web-based teleconferencing can become a stale experience.

AT&T2017-07-25
  1. "invests in it's employees"

Current Employee - Senior Project Program Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn, develop, and have several careers all within one company.

Cons

The size can be challenging, to figure out how to move a project forward.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing the direction and strategy with your employees. This is the best way to be aligned.

AT&T2019-09-18

"Horrible"

Current Employee - IT Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent benefits- that’s about it

Cons

HORRIBLE COMPANY! Constant layoffs! Management has also restricted Telecommuting. Employees used to be able to work from home all the time- now it is limited to 4 times a month. Impossible to find workspace at corporate locations- everything is “drop in” and you need to haul all your stuff into the office daily. Long hours and absolutely NO WORK LIFE BALANCE. Management does not care that you have a life... outside of “the Death Star”. Try to leave or work from home with a sick kid, and you get written up! And I am a high level IT professional.

Advice to Management

IT employees need the flexibility you once gave us. We have ZERO WORK LIFE BALANCE. Over time, the best and brightest WILL LEAVE ATT. My coworkers and I are all just marking time. Waiting for the surplus and package- at which time we will take our talents elsewhere. ATT will be left only with the employees on the right side of the bell curve who are nowhere approaching top Talent if they don’t change the... culture DRASTICALLY TO BE MORE EMPLOYEE DRIVEN!

AT&T2018-08-15

Discover more reviews about AT&T.