AT&T - Good place to get a feel for corporate life, but VERY political. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AT&T

"Good place to get a feel for corporate life, but VERY political."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and flexible schedule.

Cons

A ton of red tape when making sales. Product training is also very poor.

Advice to Management

Very political and not in touch with their industry

Other Employee Reviews for AT&T

1. "Great opportunities if in the right department"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you fall into the right organization, there is a lot of training to be had. What I have liked most about working here is the opportunity at self evolution - meaning I have been able to steer my career and try out various roles to find the best fit.
    IT is moving slowly towards more of a virtual (telecommuting) model. This allows greater flexibility and more work/life balance.

Cons

1. One of the worst things as a "manager" is having to cover for "strike duty" while the union is going through contract negotiations. We have to do potentially life threatening jobs with very little training. If we take a vacation and a strike is called, we must cancel our vacation even if out of town - and report to strike assignment.
    2. There have been a fair number of layoffs towards the end of every year.
    3. The salaries are a bit under market but they make up for it with decent benefits.

"A lot has changed in a year and a half."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at AT&T part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays pretty good for a part-time job, most of your coworkers are nice, a company phone to use, and a discount on U-Verse.

Cons

When I first started working for the company it was great. The goals were challenging, but were attainable (except they expect you to sell 70 dollars worth of accessories to every customer). Then, things just started going down hill. I'm not sure if it is associated with the failure of the T-Mobile merger and loss of 4 billion dollars, but things started getting bad around that time. The goals have increased exponentially. This has lead to rampant unethical behavior. Representatives selling 80 year old people (who only want to use a phone to talk) a smartphone with an expensive data plan. We are encouraged, by higher levels of management, to lie to customers and tell them the insurance is 9.99 per month (its only 6.99) and add a feature that is 3 dollars per month without telling the customer.

We also have a ridiculous survey system. There is a part called Willing To Recommend. Basically a customer is sent a survey, and part of the survey is about the REP who helped them and another part is about AT&T as a company (WTR). The survey works like this: you must get a 9 or a 10 to get a score. If you get a 7 or 8 you get a 0 and if you get a 6 or below you get a -100. So for example, lets say you have 6 surveys for willing to recommend. 5 people would recommend at&t as a perfect 10 and 1 gives at&t a 5. Your score is 66.67%. You must get a 75% or you get in trouble. So if the person who you helped gives you a perfect 10 on the individual survey and leaves a comment saying how much you helped them, but gives the company a 5 and leaves a comment complaining about high prices then the company makes you responsible for that.

Advice to Management

Stop encouraging unethical behavior. Lessen the pressure off your employees a little. Stop pursuing a differentiation strategy. You serve over 100 million customers, but you cater to only about 5 % of that customer base with over inflated prices on accessories.