AT&T - So far, So good!! | Glassdoor

"So far, So good!!"

Current Employee - NETDP Network Process and Quality Assurance Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time

Pros

First off....realize that it's a job. Yes, you have to wake up at 630 to go to work. Yes, you have to stay there for 8-10 hours a day. Yes, you have to answer to others. Yes, you will get tired, bored, and irritated with your work. But some companies provide you the opportunity to grow and succeed. I am firmly beginning to believe that AT&T's technical half (the other half of the company being sales) is doing everything right. My supervisor is a very respectable person, and I enjoy working with him. Nothing but positivity. I have not yet had the opportunity to work with other members of my team, but I have heard good things about them. My supervisor's supervisor is a driven and motivated individual, and Stephenson seems to be doing a fine job.

Ok, now to the Pros:
-excellent salary and benefit packages.
-Awesome discounts on services (u-verse, Internet, wireless service), but not phones.
^^^I am considered a management employee, so discounts were better than other positions.

-The wealth and freedom of training. I can learn whatever I want whenever I want.
-Solid tools for getting things done (company provided laptop, charge cards, software, transportation,etc..)
-The ability to say you work for AT&T...a company who provides services used by millions of people.
-Vacation days.

Cons

Overall:
-Things regarding your employment and enrollment take a while to get done.
-No Stipend for declined benefits
-Hiring process was long. From the time I applied online until my first day took about 3 months. I did undergo 2 interviews, however, and a thorough background check.
-No discount on cell devices...
-Exempt employment. No pay for overtime.
-Some intranet websites/applications are buggy and hard to navigate.

Advice to Management

Increase travel funds.

Other Employee Reviews for AT&T

1. "NEUTRAL"

Current Employee - Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paycheck came every 2 weeks for 30 years. Dividends were generous.

Cons

Middle management are robots-non thinking. People don't seem to care anymore and it's quite obvious.

Advice to Management

Leave us alone and let us do our jobs. It never happened in 30 years-still waiting. The best thing you have going for you is the fact that employees are going to answer to their customers and not you.

"Great company if you're going to retire there, but look elsewhere for professional growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company follows best practices in technology and there are review boards that provide guidance and ensure those practices are followed. The scale at which things are done at AT&T is very large and there are very few companies where that sort of exposure is available.

Cons

Promotions are rare and the process is very cumbersome. Also, raises are small on average (1%-3%). However, the two biggest problems are the politics which can makes for a caustic work environment and the focus of senior management on metrics (numbers, percentages, etc.) which causes a lot of decisions to be very short term and narrow. Both the above also create silos where people become experts in very specific things and don't get exposure to anything outside.

Advice to Management

Focus on the employees instead of metrics, since you have an amazing pool of talent. Also, try to eliminate the politics and infighting within Business Units, not only does it make for an tense work environment but also creates silos, where collaboration and learning is stunted.