AXA Advisors - Hard working, very successful group of talented people. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AXA Advisors

"Hard working, very successful group of talented people."

Pros

Everyone is great to get along with and knows how to help.

Cons

Can't seem to find any cons.

Other Employee Reviews for AXA Advisors

"Life Insurance Sales"

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time

Pros

You get to set your own hours

Cons

Dont know how to properly advise...they just peddle life insurance.

Advice to Management

Learn more about finance

2. "Terrible company for women to work at."

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at AXA Advisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can make you own schedule and not have to go into the office. AXA does have some good life insurance and annuity products for clients.

Cons

Unprofessional workplace. As a woman I was always passed up for recognition and production awards even though I had out produced all counterparts multiple times over the years. I would be yelled at in my annual reviews for the way my hair looked that day rather than being praised for having the highest production. My managers insisted on taking sometimes up to 20% of my commission for just being a manager. I was also required to split my commissions with a partner (usually a new one) that could not produce yet. I often had to train my partner and split my commissions with both my manager and partner. This was awful because you eventually become 100% commission and you have to "feed" other associates. The managers set it up this way because there is very high turnover and they have to hit recruiting goals, and they do not care if the new associate succeeds because eventually the manager wants to take the clients and commissions from the failed new person. The manager ultimately wants passive income where he takes a cut from all his employees and takes all failed associates' clients and ongoing commissions. The manager ultimate goal is to NOT work and feed off of you.

To institute this disgusting practice the manager (male) threatened me in private meetings. I had worked hard and tried to hold on and protect my business. This happened on multiple occasions. I felt I was proactive in reporting threats and behavior to the branch manager, but he placated the situation. He eventually addressed the sitution, but his poor judgement and procrastination had let a bad situation become horrible. There is no human resources available even after I asked the branch manager multiple times. I was punished by my branch by having it be accepted to be yelled at and cussed at by other employees . One example would be in talking with my compliance officer about a rationale for opening a new account and updating investment strategies. The compliance officer would yell and lose control over crossing something off a form rather than writing NA next to it. Compliance officer's actions were ongoing and others could hear him yelling at me, and some others like my old manager, would be very buddy buddy and wait outside the door to go to lunch with him. There would be no recouse.

The horrible examples of unprofessionalism and need for human resources, and code of conduct in this office (San Diego) are paramount. This office is a locker room. You are either in or out. Also, do not be stupid, if you are in you are playing the game and stuck selling mostly proprietary products that other firms do not carry. This means that after 5 years ( or what ever it may be) and you want to change firms: you cannot without leaving your book of business and all your hard work and sacrefice with them.

There are a lot of firms on the street. I have to admit, when I first started there I loved it and fit in for many years. I learned a lot. You will get to run a lot of meetings, learn the basics better than almost anywhere for a short time ( assuming you have no prior sales or financial experience). Then get out and move on. Build your own book with a product agnostic firm. That way you can go anywhere: wirehouse, independent, etc. This firm does have an experation date for most just like when you graduated elementary school. Think about it: you would not want your child to spend all their school years in elementary school, however they do need to attend there K-5 years there. The product, scope, and financial industry knowledge stops here at a low level. Think about what kind of advisor you want to be. At the end I learned I had outgrown the firm, and I could not be fooled or drink anymore Kool-aid in being told AXA was it. I didn't care about partying with them or fitting in. What was important was my career as a Financisl Advisor, my book of business, and growing my knowledge ( yes I stopped going to training because they only trained on a couple of products over and over again). I learned a very hard and thankful lesson here: do a good job no matter how hard, mean, or unsupportive people become of you, you will shine and make it out. Those who ridicule you, desperate to fit in, or suck up to those who are mediocare at best, will always sacrefice their self interest in their career because they have to continue to appease to get their morsels. I do want to note that not all advisors here are bad, and I met some very nice people along the way, but usually they had other circumstances that helped them side-step the toxic vortex. I am thankful to the real friends I made, for AXA giving me my start, and those who did support and help grow me. I wish them the all the best. To the others and the business model I leave you this: "It is not what you don't know that you should fear most, it is what you think you know to be absolutely true and is in fact false that is of the greatest threat.

Advice to Management

You need human resources to be engaged at the branch level and educate all employees on code of conduct.