Abbott Labs - Challenging, but rewarding, opportunities in biotechnology and healthcare industries. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs

"Challenging, but rewarding, opportunities in biotechnology and healthcare industries."

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Abbott is a great place work if you enjoy working on new technologies that will make a difference in people's lives. Abbott is full of top-notch talent, so there is plenty of opportunity to learn from your peers. The benefits and compensation are extremely generous as well.

Cons

Sometimes the shear size of Abbott gets in the way of progress due to the bureaucratic hoops one must jump through to accomplish certain tasks that should be trivial.

Other Employee Reviews for Abbott Labs

"Very rewarding career until a reduction in force separated me from the company."

Current Employee - Principal Scientist in Abbott Park, IL
    Current Employee - Principal Scientist in Abbott Park, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work. Plenty of opportunities to use your skill set. Good compensation and benefits. Many different venues for potential employees.

Cons

No loyalty to employees. Management uses reduction in force to maintain profitability. Employees work in an environment of constant fear of losing their jobs.

Advice to Management

You cannot sustain a business by getting rid of employees to increase profitability. Follow Deming's advice. Concentrate on quality and people and the profits will come.

"Great benefits. Paternalistic culture. Couldn't change career path."

Former Employee - HR Manager in Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - HR Manager in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Total compensation was excellent, especially when you factor in retirement benefits. My 401K, after two years of working at Abbott, was better off than expected and in comparison to friends. I had good opportunities to work "above my pay grade" so long as I demonstrated exceptional performance. Got to work in Europe for a year and that experience was very well executed.

Cons

I wanted to move from one function to another and despite networking and getting interviews and an offer, I was asked to stay in my current function. This was not aligned with my career interests.

Advice to Management

If someone is a high performer, allow them to pursue the passion they identified at your company.