Abbott Labs - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Former Contractor - Marketing Administrative Support in Santa Clara, CA
Former Contractor - Marketing Administrative Support in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

My boss was very supportive and gave me freedom to get my work done.

Cons

Internal computer support was always a challenge and needed to streamline how employees got assistance with getting computer basics set up as new employee. It took over 2 weeks to get access to my email and other necessary applications.

Other Employee Reviews for Abbott Labs

1. "Engineering Intern Experience"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Temecula, CA
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Temecula, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern

Pros

Abbott has great benefits and a friendly culture. For this 12 week internship, one week was spent in Chicago meeting all the other interns and participating in a case competition while meeting important senior members at the company. It also has a large internship pool, and thus is a great place to look at when trying to gain some experience.

Cons

Despite having the title of "Engineering Intern", it really was more of a business internship. Thus it was hard to gain experience that was related to my major and I spent my time working in more of a supply chain role.

"Excited to start,but not a great experience"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large fortune 100 company. Many nice people willing to help you out. Dallas, Texas headquarters, need I say more?

Cons

Your performance is measured against a lot of metrics much of which is out of your control. Company is performance driven by by these arbitrary metrics. Hospitalization is expensive, and coinsurance is as well. The training is terrible, and you will be left hanging in front of customers as you learn how to fix instruments on the fly. Typical corporate culture, focus is strictly on earnings and shareholders. Your everyday tools are outdated, especially your handheld device to close calls. You'll spend many hours needlessly waiting on software.

Advice to Management

Upper management is out of touch, many with no experience in the field. Ditch all the metrics that can be manipulated and ask the people in the field what is needed and works best. Solve instrument issues, build a box with quality in mind.