Abbott - Student intern position | Glassdoor

"Student intern position"

Current Intern - Student in Urbana, IL
Current Intern - Student in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Abbott as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

very friendly environment and great communication with people

Cons

I am not directly related to my field which is also expected

Advice to Management

can give more space to interns to explore more topics and studies to work with. It may help company'y future plans since some students come up with brilliant ideas.

Other Employee Reviews for Abbott

1. "Lab tech"

I worked at Abbott part-time

Pros

can easily Get part time as well as short term positions. The staff is very friendly and put enough time into training that I easily picked up on to make transitions very smooth

Cons

the location was very far north so it was a big comute for me to be working part time

Advice to Management

nothing they are a great team

2. "Abbott Hematology Review"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Abbott as a contractor

Pros

-The next generation technology for the hematology instruments seems interesting and has a lot of potential.
    -The company, in general, seems to be excited for the launch of the next generation platform, Alinity, for Abbott Diagnostics.
    -The company does compensate their employees really well in terms of salary.

Cons

-There are a lot of engineers who prefer to hide issues instead of finding engineering solutions. I found that to be pretty unethical and impactful for others in the company trying to right the ship.
    -The company was hemorrhaging good workers left and right putting more pressure on the employees already there.
    -Despite having extremely aggressive deadlines, there seems to be no planning at all on day to day activity. Something always seemed to come up, forcing me to work overtime on a daily basis.
    -Instrument allocation between groups is horrendous. For some groups, the only time they would get access to get work done is on the weekend, as other groups would get priority.

Advice to Management

-Cut the fat. There are definitely a few employees who do not belong there and are hurting the development instead of helping.
    -Create a plan for the lab for the week and stick with it. This will make it a little less chaotic for the people who don't go to the daily Obeya (i.e. the worker bees) and provide a little less chaos in the lab.