Abebooks - A Mixed Bag | Glassdoor

"A Mixed Bag"

I worked at Abebooks full-time

Pros

Great perks and benefits, great location, nice open-concept office space, lots of social events, good salary, nice people, flexible/good for people with families

Cons

I had heard a mix of things about the company from former employees before accepting the job, some positive (nice people, good place to develop new skills), some negative (high stress, high turnover, bad culture). I tried to start out with an open mind, but a few weeks in, I was surprised to see how accurate their accounts were. The pressure was on from Day 1, which led to learning a lot of new skills very quickly.... Stress and turnover were indeed high and expectations were ill-defined and often unrealistic. Amazon culture was prevalent and being able to fall in line with the "Amazon way" seemed to be the key to succeeding. It was a sink-or-swim environment, and I definitely sank, but that's not to say that it wouldn't be a good fit for others.

Abebooks2015-07-30

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Challenging, fast-paced environment with room to learn and grow"

I have been working at Abebooks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

AbeBooks is full of smart people across the tech and business sides of the company and working with them is fun and challenging. As an Amazon subsidiary, we have access to one of the world's most impressive companies for knowledge sharing, training, and career opportunities. RSU compensation is unbeatable in the Victoria job market.

Cons

Limited resources. Like most companies, there is an endless list of things we want to do. Getting the resources to get them done can be a challenge but we have great processes in place to help us prioritize projects and get as much done as possible with the resources we have. Getting creative and bit scrappy to get things out the door can be a fun challenge.

Advice to Management

Continue to learn from employees, seek diverse perspectives, and value inclusion.

Abebooks2019-02-22

"Hypocrisy-filled "Amazon TECH Company" driven by a bunch of white men"

Former Employee - SDE2

I worked at Abebooks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent office, ok salary, showers in office

Cons

Not a "tech company" Pushes "...an Amazon company" a ton but actually receives no benefits from being an Amazon subsidiary Limited opportunity for growth Despite having a D&I (Diversity and Inclusion) team, upper management is comprised of 100% white male in their mid-30s to 50s Hidden factors in contract - did you know that if you leave within 2 years you need to pay back your signing bonus? Come on... Upper... management has a habit of favouritism and doing "off-sites" essentially creating a small team that's impossible to penetrate. No "AbeBooks" culture to speak of. HR is full of women.

Abebooks2017-11-28

Discover more reviews about Abebooks.