Abercrombie & Fitch - A great 1st job to learn apparel product development and merchandising | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Abercrombie & Fitch

"A great 1st job to learn apparel product development and merchandising"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Merchandiser in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a first opportunity, A&F provides a great learning ground in apparel retail. It provides a great introduction to product development, planning, design and allocation.

Cons

After a few years of experience, A&F becomes a difficult place to apply your knowledge to drive strategy.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing great managers

Other Employee Reviews for Abercrombie & Fitch

1. "Good First Job"

Current Employee - Store Model in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Store Model in Altamonte Springs, FL

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally easy to work for.

Cons

Make sure you work at a store with an overnight staff or you'll do a lot of tedious work.

"Hard work for little pay and little recognition."

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with cool people. Clothing discount. Quick career advancement if you fit the company image (great looking).

Cons

As a store manager, you are expected to work until the job is perfect. This could mean putting in 60 hours a week and you don't get paid for over time at all. Even after this your DM and RM will have hardly ever have any positive things to say about you. After being a store manager for 3.5 years I threw in the towel after a senior manager made up a lie about me and told other upper management. This comment was believed as fact and was even put on my review. I was never asked about it and was shocked to see a complete lie factoring into my performance review. I would never work for this company again. The upper management see lower level employees as easily replacable and they do not treat them fairly. You would think that they would realize this attitude is costing the company a lot of money because the turnover rate is outrageous! In addition to this the recruiting and hiring processes are 100% based on looks. If a person is not great looking you can not hire them. The company devotes a majority of their managers times to outside recruing and seeking the best looking people. I personally feel this is a disgusting practice. Turning down highly qualified, smart people because they are not attractive enough does not fit in with my personal morals.