Abercrombie & Fitch - Impact | Glassdoor

"Impact"

Pros

- Company Discounts
- Great music
- Great starting job

Cons

- Lack of consistent time (time/hours varies)
- At least one "on call" shift
- Poor scheduling on store management (depending on manager and location)

Other Employee Reviews for Abercrombie & Fitch

1. "Great starting out"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time

Pros

This company has a great program for people just starting out and trying to get in the field. I started out as an MIT. Once I completed the program I was immediately an assistant manager. Less than a year later I got my own store and less than a year from that I am now running the top store in my state. There is not much room to grow after that.

Cons

After you are the store manager of one of the top Abercrombie's in the state you pretty much have to wait forever to get a promotion. There are 2 different routs you can go. Either district manager or home office. For Dustrict manager you generally would have to be in that same top performing store for at least 5 years. For home office they won't recommend you unless you store is perfect. (Never happens) All in all it is a good short time company, not a lifetime career. Ex. They have only had 1 person retire from the company.

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extensive management training program that covers a wide variety of topics including HR, loss prevention, store experience, recruiting, people development, customer service, etc. You are put into situations that will drain the life out of you with goals that are impossible to achieve but are great learning experiences to develop management skills.

Cons

A&F is obsessive about certain aspects of "store experience" to the point where sales and customer service are sacrificed for, as an example, perfectly folded stacks of 25+ shirts. Upper management seem incapable of staffing their stores with managers (probably because the pay is ridiculously low for a job that requires a 4-year degree) but don't allow extra hours of labor to compensate. Opinions on how to run the business more effectively have no place here besides small, insignificant ideas here and there. Work turns into a daily battle of trying to keep presentations folded while cheap, inconsiderate customers tear through stacks of 25+ shirts. There is little room for advancement and promotions are extremely competitive.

Advice to Management

Upper management must be more open to walking into a store as they are run on a day to day basis and accept that there are issues with the way business is run at the store level. Be realistic about the state of the company at that level and maybe we wouldn't be forced to cut hours drastically across the board to compensate for ridiculous over expenditures in labor wages to prepare for visits.