Abercrombie & Fitch - Very monotonous but a lot of fun people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Abercrombie & Fitch

"Very monotonous but a lot of fun people"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people
Good atmosphere
Flexible hours

Cons

Could be boring folding clothes over and over
Frustrating customers at times

Other Employee Reviews for Abercrombie & Fitch

"Stay away!!!"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The associates and other managers employed in my store were a saving grace of this job. In addition, the benefits were comprehensive.

Cons

The hours and pay suck--I worked weekends and nights as an impact assistant manager, so it was nearly impossible to have a personal life outside of work. The company also treats their employees poorly and has terrible values. I was frequently told to only hire attractive people for part-time and management positions. The company does not care if people are hard-working or reliable, just that they "fit the look". It's a revolving door of employees as the company pushes recruiting very hard, but then makes no effort to retain employees (during my 10 months there, I saw 6 managers quit). Furthermore, the company has obviously been hit hard with the recession (and with their declining popularity in general) as they gave stores barely any hours and are STRICT on each store hitting their required hours exactly. You will get your ass handed to you if you go over, even an hour. For instance, on busy Saturday afternoons, we would typically only have 3 associates working at a time and 2 managers. Since everything in the store must be "perfectly" folded, this made it difficult to close the store within the hours budgeted and according to company standards. Having so few associates at a time and ridiculous policies also made for angry and frustrated customers.

You're not technically required to wear the company's clothing, but as a manager, I was pretty much forced to purchase and wear the company's clothing to work. It wouldn't have been a problem if I had received the clothes for free, but I only got a 40% discount, which sounds like a lot... But when you don't make that much, the clothes are expensive, and they have new looks every two months, it is a lot of money.

The company has ridiculous policies and standards across the board, and it has dumbed down the manager's role so that a monkey could do it (a checklist for the day would print out every morning from corporate). Overall, it was a terrible experience for me.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people. Retail jobs in general have bad pay and hours, but make it up to employees by giving them other perks and treating them well. It will pay off in the long run. Also, turn down the AWFUL music and stop spraying the store so much... you might actually start getting customers back.

2. "run fast."

Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate (Model) in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-if they like you and you have a long-term interest in the company, they'll do what they have to in order to move you up

Cons

-they don't care about your life outside of the company and will do what they can to rid you of your outside distractions (i.e. school)

Advice to Management

treat the little people better!