Abercrombie & Fitch - Awesome experience in the beginning, went downhill quickly. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Abercrombie & Fitch

"Awesome experience in the beginning, went downhill quickly."

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent management training. Health benefits were awesome. Paid vacation accumulates as soon as you start, given 5 sick days every fiscal year, and accumulate 3 personal days every fiscal year as well. The people you work with are awesome (for the most part). Rapid promotions, paid relocation, and international opportunities. Great discount across all A&F brands.

Cons

Poor work life balance, poor support from upper management depending on the district/region you're in. Upper management is young and extremely unprofessional (cursed out by my district manager when I gave my resignation). Company and upper management are very image oriented. There was a lot of pressure for your staff to have "the right look." Pay was horrendous. Base pay for management (regardless of experience) is $28,000. Store Management base pay is $33,000 depending on the city or region you live in it could be more based on the cost of living, in that case could be as much as $36,000. Typically only get a $1000 increase if you get promoted to other stores after that, even if they're higher volume locations. Lucky to top off at $40,000 even if you worked for the company for 4 years.

Advice to Management

To keep stores management teams career oriented, upper management (ie DM's) need to maintain a professional relationship, image, and demeanor at all times around their subordinates. The day my DM started telling me about her personal life in terms of who she slept around with, how much she drank the night before, or how crazy she got at her DM retreat was the day I didn't feel like this was a career anymore, I felt like I was just "working in a mall" and not running a multimillion dollar business with endless career opportunities.

Other Employee Reviews for Abercrombie & Fitch

1. "Good for a first job as teenager"

Current Employee - Impact Team Member in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Impact Team Member in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pro, at least when I was working there, were the co-workers. They made it awesome to be there. Being a Impact member, you don't have to deal with customers at all. You are in the stock room putting clothes into the shelves.

Cons

They will give you less and less hours the longer you stay. If you are not on good terms with the manager then you'll be lucky to get one or two shifts a weeks. Also, the employee discount sucks.

2. "Burnout Central - not a career move company"

Former Employee - People Assistant Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - People Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is a great environment for young people to work in, especially since the entire company is staffed by people under thirty, all the way up to the corporate level.
    You get a 50% discount several times a year and the compensation is reasonable if you are a single person without many bills.

Cons

The store is essentially designed on a burn and turn system, you will have a certain amount of work that absolutely must get done for the store to function properly, unfortunately they can only pay you for 8 hours a day- the end result is that the managers end up coming in early and staying long after they are scheduled to without getting paid for it. If I was getting paid for all the hours I put in my salary would've been somewhere closer to 50k per year rather than 31k.

Also, as stated in the PROS section, this is a YOUNG COMPANY which means drama drama drama. You can't sneeze without everyone in the company talking about it for weeks and sexual harassment is rampant. I had to reject advances of almost every employee there, which is something to consider, makes work very very awkward.

Advice to Management

Give more payroll budget hours and focus on fair compensatoins