Academy of Art University - It's time to match the processes and metrics to the mission | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Academy of Art University

"It's time to match the processes and metrics to the mission"

Current Employee - Undergraduate Admissions Representative in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Undergraduate Admissions Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Academy of Art University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary is good, benefits are adequate, and we use Salesforce, which is an incredible tool.

Cons

So many people in this position are actively looking for work elsewhere. They recruit passionate people who care about inspiring students for careers in art and design, and then treat us like drones or automatons. Attention needs to be paid to the culture - if the admissions reps are dissatisfied and feel unsupported and unappreciated, and they're the face of the school to prospective students, that has a direct impact on the school's enrollment and employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Start digging into why so many admissions representatives leave before their one year mark, and stop treating this department like a call center for a sales organization. It's not sales - you can absolutely use some sales techniques, but it has to be a radically different approach.
Build up your middle managers, develop your staff, and be intentional in developing a positive culture. You may need outside consultants to come and address these issues, because it doesn't seem like any of the quite obvious issues in our department are making any kind of impact on the C-level.

Other Employee Reviews for Academy of Art University

1. "The worst job I ever had"

I worked at Academy of Art University full-time

Pros

A great opportunity to work with terrific colleagues, we helped one another when training was inadequate.

Cons

Management is terrible; people are not promoted on merit, there are more incompetent managers here than anywhere I've ever worked. They will make your life terrible, too.

"You do not want to work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Academy of Art University full-time

Pros

My position itself is extremely rewarding. I work with a great staff in an artistic educational setting in an urban environment. The actual work is engaging, challenging, and stimulating and definitely not routine.

Cons

The Executive Office is the biggest con. There is absolutely no positive reinforcement, credit for ones work, or even a consistent and balanced approach to management. This COULD be the coolest place to work--an art school in San Francisco--but the Executive Office goes out of its way to make it as miserable as possible. There's a ridiculous pre-1980s dress code (no jeans, no visible tattoos, etc...), many of the buildings are not up to code, the office furniture looks like it was dragged out of a dumpster, and the raises are paltry and not nearly enough to keep up with the cost of living. Also, from the top down, a finger-pointing, blame-game culture is nurtured and empowered, rather than a productive "problem-solving" culture. They also treat the staff like naughty little children who just want to get away with something instead of as grown professionals who just might have something to offer. The Executive Office also is extremely nepotistic, so most from the director position on up are complete incompetent morons who take credit for the work done by anyone beneath while perpetuating an abusive and punitive environment. Elisa Stephens' dismal 13% approval rating (can you find a lower rating than that?) says it all.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and start implementing real incentives rather than taking everyone for granted. Your staff is not trying to rob you of your millions and your students aren't dollar signs.