Accenture - Accenture job | Glassdoor

"Accenture job"

Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

great people. new experiences, exciting, training a truly global and extremely diverse team of deeply skilled professionals. These people are seamlessly connected around the world, allowing us to offer faster, more cost-effective and higher-quality services than our competitors can. Accenture recruited more than 43,000 people in 2006.
We are the 49th strongest global brand, according to Business Week.
We are ranked 379th in the 2006 Business Week, up 76 places from 2005.
We achieved record new bookings (contract signings) in 2006, of $20.4 billion.
We are ranked as the No. 1 Information Technology Services company by Fortune magazine for the third year running.
We are ranked No. 1 outsourcing provider among customers by InformationWeek.
We are ranked the No. 1 HR outsourcing provider by both IDC and the Human Resources Outsourcing Association.
We are ranked the No. 1 CRM management consultancy by CRM magazine
We are ranked 14th in Business Week’s 2006 Infotech 100.

Cons

travel too much, no growth potential
Manages the administration of more than 900,000 pensions and employee benefits.
Administers more than 2 million insurance policies and 2 million paychecks.
Handles more than 100 million customer service calls and processes in excess of 50 million bills.
Performs more than 30 million electricity and gas readings.
Processes more than 140 million airline ticket reservations.
Processes more than 21 million sales invoices and 9 million purchase orders.
Provides training in nine languages to more than 1 million people in 143 countries.
a history of technology innovation and spend approximately $250 million on research and development each year. We therefore offer extensive industry, technology and process expertise and have the ability to effect change for our clients across their entire businesses.

Advice to Management

listen to employees

Other Employee Reviews for Accenture

1. "My Accenture Story"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Training - the core competency academy training at St. Charles is well thought out and effective. The training is focused, intense and informative. The instructors appear to actually care about the material and the success of the students.

Compensation - Compensation is comparable to IBM GBS. I received a signing bonus when I joined ACN in 2008, which was a nice perk. The benefits are competitive for a firm of this size.

Colleagues - Senior Managers and Senior Execs were mostly good, well-educated and knowledgeable about their industries and practices. Upper management did not communicate very well, but seemed to be supportive of the business initiatives and goals.

Cons

Staffing - My HR representative was a joke. He had no knowledge of my practice area (SAP), and little understanding of how consulting engagements work. I seemed to be a lot better at getting project leads and making connections with engagement leaders than he was. During our weekly calls, he would always repeat his mantra of "I'm doing everything I can for you." Unfortunately, his idea of "everything" was somewhat less than one would think. During the 4 MONTHS I was on the bench at Accenture (and I was a top tier manager at IBM before joining ACN), he came up with one potential engagement for me...in Nigeria. He then suggested I look at projects outside of SAP (I have 10 years functional and technical SAP experience). I was basically blown away that this company couldn't find a project for a certified Manager with 10+ years of SAP and Big 4 experience, and a top 10% performance rating coming from IBM.

Communication - Corporate communications were limited to fiscal results and a few insignificant company initiatives. Request for feedback from employees was nil.

Advice to Management

Value the knowledge and experiences being brought in by experienced hires. There is more to consulting than just the "Accenture way".

Assign HR reps who know what they are doing and understand the consulting industry.

Don't waste experienced hires' time and value by letting them sit on the bench.

"There are pluses and minuses - here is a diplomatic view"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Overall, because of the size of the company the benefits package, discount/perks programs (17% off Apple products is a good example) are very good. As a member of the consulting workforce I find the flex trip option (you can fly to a different home city than your own OR fly someone out to the project worksite over the weekend free of charge) a nice perk. In addition, if you are an executive level (Manager or above) in the consulting workforce they provide the Amex Platinum card for free, which allows you access to most airport lounges - this is a very nice thing when you travel 4 days per week, every week. They do seem to provide benefits to make things easier for the frequent traveler.

The KX (knowledge exchange) is a great tool for templates and information, as well as message boards around experience on past projects that you can leverage. The portal is also a good source, though there is so much information up there it can be daunting to a newbie.

For the most part, people in consulting services are exceptionally bright. I never feel like anyone is subpar - you don't last long within consulting services if you underperform.

I still think there is significant advantage to having Accenture consulting services on one's resume, even with the company changes over the last few years.

Cons

1) Experienced Hire Integration: Despite some incremental improvements towards enabling better experienced hire integration within the firm, overall the process is a disaster. This is particularly true in the consulting workforce within the executive level (manager or above). In addition, those people who have only worked within Accenture their entire careers will often have extremely arrogant misinformed attitudes about the skills and expertise experienced hires bring to the firm. I have even seen 2nd year analysts be very demeaning to experienced hire senior executives. It grows quite tiresome and generally leads to high attrition by most experienced hires in the consulting workforce. The arrogance by some non-experienced hires is very irritating in general. Lastly, there appears to be better Exp Hire integration within the U.S., whereas the other countries lag behind. I don't understand the lack of consistency there (though this might have improved in the last few months).

2) People Development - despite a very extensive training program (both online and in-person at St. Charles), the consulting workforce does not reward executives (Manager and above) who perform well as a People Developer. The culture still encourages rapid promotion of inexperienced, younger managers whose rating/success depends primarily on delivery at all costs. As a result, you will see a great deal of micromanagement, bullying, encouragement to their analysts/consultants to ghost hours, etc. This is not true in all cases, but it appears to be the exception rather than the rule. While they now will ding SE's for poor leadership 360 survey results, they do not apply it to Managers (where they really should start to prevent it from being a problem when they become an SE).

3) Size - yes, we are huge. The disavantage is that making your way through certain things can be extremely time consuming because no one really has all the answers. I think this is not unique to Accenture. You can feel lost in the crowd occasionally as a result (particularly as an new employee - allow yourself some time to get up to speed).

4) On bigger projects, you will generally not have an opportunity to get significant challenge or an opportunity to play a broader role because of the rigid hierarchy in place on larger projects. Most of our projects are large in nature compared with more boutique firms.

5) The laddering/force ranking review process - still somewhat arbitrary, and much can depend on your relationship with SE's and Sr. Managers. If you don't have it, it can have a detrimental impact on your rating (in some cases).

6) Strong company culture - can be a blessing or a curse, I find it a negative. Generally you are expected to drink the corporate kool aid and like it.

Advice to Management

Place additional focus on growing the people development skills of new managers - make it a larger factor in the performance management process. Also, continue to place effort around experienced hire integration across all workforces.