Accenture - Accenture job | Glassdoor

"Accenture job"

Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

great people. new experiences, exciting, training a truly global and extremely diverse team of deeply skilled professionals. These people are seamlessly connected around the world, allowing us to offer faster, more cost-effective and higher-quality services than our competitors can. Accenture recruited more than 43,000 people in 2006.
We are the 49th strongest global brand, according to Business Week.
We are ranked 379th in the 2006 Business Week, up 76 places from 2005.
We achieved record new bookings (contract signings) in 2006, of $20.4 billion.
We are ranked as the No. 1 Information Technology Services company by Fortune magazine for the third year running.
We are ranked No. 1 outsourcing provider among customers by InformationWeek.
We are ranked the No. 1 HR outsourcing provider by both IDC and the Human Resources Outsourcing Association.
We are ranked the No. 1 CRM management consultancy by CRM magazine
We are ranked 14th in Business Week’s 2006 Infotech 100.

Cons

travel too much, no growth potential
Manages the administration of more than 900,000 pensions and employee benefits.
Administers more than 2 million insurance policies and 2 million paychecks.
Handles more than 100 million customer service calls and processes in excess of 50 million bills.
Performs more than 30 million electricity and gas readings.
Processes more than 140 million airline ticket reservations.
Processes more than 21 million sales invoices and 9 million purchase orders.
Provides training in nine languages to more than 1 million people in 143 countries.
a history of technology innovation and spend approximately $250 million on research and development each year. We therefore offer extensive industry, technology and process expertise and have the ability to effect change for our clients across their entire businesses.

Advice to Management

listen to employees

Other Employee Reviews for Accenture

1. "vast resources, but lacks in flexibility"

Former Employee - Management Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Working at Accenture means a lot of access to many resources, both across industries and functions. There's a great internal network where one can just email or call someone they don't know to get advice when working on projects.

Cons

Accenture is way too big, meaning that the average employee is completely lost in the shuffle. Whereas the size of the company should create flexibility to experience different projects and move oneself towards career goals, we're constantly finding that unless you are a superstar, most people are pulled in directions that fits the company needs first, even if it's completely unrelated to the employee's development goals.

Also, compensation is lower than most other consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Work with the talented employees you have to give them projects they actually want. Work on retention.

2. "My Accenture Story"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Training - the core competency academy training at St. Charles is well thought out and effective. The training is focused, intense and informative. The instructors appear to actually care about the material and the success of the students.

Compensation - Compensation is comparable to IBM GBS. I received a signing bonus when I joined ACN in 2008, which was a nice perk. The benefits are competitive for a firm of this size.

Colleagues - Senior Managers and Senior Execs were mostly good, well-educated and knowledgeable about their industries and practices. Upper management did not communicate very well, but seemed to be supportive of the business initiatives and goals.

Cons

Staffing - My HR representative was a joke. He had no knowledge of my practice area (SAP), and little understanding of how consulting engagements work. I seemed to be a lot better at getting project leads and making connections with engagement leaders than he was. During our weekly calls, he would always repeat his mantra of "I'm doing everything I can for you." Unfortunately, his idea of "everything" was somewhat less than one would think. During the 4 MONTHS I was on the bench at Accenture (and I was a top tier manager at IBM before joining ACN), he came up with one potential engagement for me...in Nigeria. He then suggested I look at projects outside of SAP (I have 10 years functional and technical SAP experience). I was basically blown away that this company couldn't find a project for a certified Manager with 10+ years of SAP and Big 4 experience, and a top 10% performance rating coming from IBM.

Communication - Corporate communications were limited to fiscal results and a few insignificant company initiatives. Request for feedback from employees was nil.

Advice to Management

Value the knowledge and experiences being brought in by experienced hires. There is more to consulting than just the "Accenture way".

Assign HR reps who know what they are doing and understand the consulting industry.

Don't waste experienced hires' time and value by letting them sit on the bench.