Accenture - Great Opportunities if starting at Accenture, but they dwindle as you continue to move up the corporate ladder | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Accenture

"Great Opportunities if starting at Accenture, but they dwindle as you continue to move up the corporate ladder"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Large exposure to different types of work and people.

Cons

Long hours and continuing to get get more bureacratic since the company went public.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the people who help drive this company forward as you continue to put all of your focus on the bottom line.

Other Employee Reviews for Accenture

"Productivity (chargeablity) is all that matters."

Former Employee - Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Jose, CA

Pros

There is definitely brand recognition in working for Accenture. It's the largest consulting firm in the world, so people have heard of them. (Besides, who could miss the Tiger ads plastered all over every apirport.) One person who posted mentioned that they got 6 years of experience in 3 years at the company. That's probably true. There's a wide range of clients and experiences to have at the company. In my 20 months with the firm, I worked on 6 projects at 6 different clients, all in different industries. That's not something that you're going to get in any other industry job.

Cons

Work/Life balance? What's that? There pretty much isn't such a thing as work/life balance at Accenture. It's all about "productivity numbers" which is basically the number of hours you are chargeable to the client in any given week, out of 40. So it is possible to have chargeablility greater than 100%, e.g., you work on client material for 50 hours, and your chargeablility would be 125% (50/40 = 1.25) But for the firm, it's all about chargeablility. In some instances, I think the drive to get high productivity drives unethical behavior. I've seen people charge in hours spent at team dinners that didn't have the client present just because it was "work related."

I felt like a jack of all trades, master of none at this company. Frequently, they put people in roles they are not qualified to fill. This also borders on unethical because as consultants, our job is to come in as the experts, but when we know less than the client about a particular software or issue, that can't be a good situation. Many "experts" are nothing more than experts at Googling for solutions to a particular issue, having no real expertise in the matter at all. Again, this placement in a particular role goes back to the productivity issue. The firm wants people to charge hours to a client even if it means charging 40-80 hours of time spent "researching" something on Google. If it didn't cost companies so much money, it would almost be laughable.

The pay isn't that great. When I entered, I was told that Consultants were paid significantly more than their "industry" counterparts. Thanks to Glassdoor, I'm not sure that's the case any more. I think people in industry can easily be paid 20-30% more than Accenture employees

Advice to Management

You need to genuinely care about people. The emphasis on productivity is ridiculous and turns us from people into machines.

Also, there's too much secrecy and too little transparency.

"Accenture is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

The people and culture are great. Very collaborative and supportive. Everyone including sernior executives invite communication. Everyone is available to give 15 minutes to talk to you about mentoring, an idea for a social responsibility initiative, or advice on completing your work. I have seen very junior people have an idea and be supported in pursuing making it real. Many of the current social responsibility initiatives started this way. Accenture also has a great blend of people who are home grown and experienced hires with multiple paths to success. If you started right out of college, you can be on the same track as someone hired with work experience.

Cons

Some projects can be brutal if they are not managed well. This well affect the Accenture experience, but overall senior executives are very supportive of people. LIke any organization that provides System Integratin or Management Consulting services, Accenture doesn't always get it right because of an individual manager who is underperforming, external client dependencies or the project just is not a good idea. More times than not, Accenture delivers on its reputation for getting the job done. I have been fortunate to see tough projects still provide a positive experience as Senior Executives bring a people-first attitude and try to recognize the great work being done on their teams.

Advice to Management

Continue to do the things you are doing to promote a positive culture.