Accenture - Solutions Workforce, 2nd class citizens. Don't bother | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Accenture

"Solutions Workforce, 2nd class citizens. Don't bother"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think I lucked out because the project I was on was excellent. Your mileage may vary but this is my experience on the project.

Worked with excellent people. My team was a mix of solutions, consulting, and services people. All of them were extremely helpful, reliable, and most importantly smart. I was even able to sit down with my senior managers to discuss technical issues. At least on my project, I was seen as an equal to consulting and services guys. If there's one thing I missed about working at Accenture, its the people.

Management really cares about your career and tries to help. They tried to help me grow by giving me more senior level responsibilities, and let me try out fields that I was interested in.

Corporate events were fun. There's usually a few large company parties every year. You can even take time off your project to volunteer around the area.

Work life balance is excellent. I was able to take a really hard college course online while leading an implementation project.

I actually learned a lot of information technology skills. I'm no longer employed in that industry but I still find myself using those skills at my new job.

Cons

I may have written a lot of positives but I wouldn't recommend joining Accenture under the solutions workforce at all.

You do the same work as consultants but the pay is well below average. I went back to school and I'm currently interning at a different company. My intern salary is is $8000+ more than my final Accenture salary and $18000+ my starting salary. That's not even counting the $5000 relocation bonus I got. What a joke!

The rating process is all about politics. Despite leading and developing a large implementation project as a senior programmer (2nd level of solutions), I only received a rating of "Average."

Advancement in your career is very slow. Most people will get stuck as an SSA (Senior Systems Analyst), which is one level away from Manager.

HR and many other consultants will look down on you. Lucky that never happened to me on my project but when I met other analyst, I definitely got that vibe. I remember on the first day a consulting manager asked everyone who was part of the solutions workforce. When we raised our hands he just shook his head, like we didn't know what we got ourselves into.

New consulting hires get to go to Accenture Core Analyst School, which is basically a several week non stop party disguised as "training". New solutions hires go a classroom for formal technical training in either programming or testing. the first week of training is just sitting in a room doing online training! If you fail the class you get fired. Training outside project sponsored classroom stuff is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Get rid of solutions entirely, or at least have some kind of equality between the solutions and consulting work force.

Other Employee Reviews for Accenture

1. "Great Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Federal Financial Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Federal Financial Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cross Functional Teams, Several Opportunities for Development, Great People

Cons

Laddering (Promotions) - Lack of Standardization

2. "Analyst through Senior Manager (Financial Services US)"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people
    Good training
    Good internal systems

Cons

Poor compensation (decreased rapidly since going public)
    People are less appreciated than in the past
    Becoming a partner is not what it used to be
    People are almost punished for traveling
    The outstanding global training experience is becoming a thing of the past

Advice to Management

Put people and compensation first (employees are no longer buying the "total reward" concept - base is what matters)