Accenture - Very Good Experience, Worth Working For | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Accenture

"Very Good Experience, Worth Working For"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good place to start or enhance your career in. Lots of areas of expertise (IT, business process, strategy, etc.). Lots of networking opportunities with people from all over the world who work for or who will work for very big or up-and-coming companies. Worked with many good colleagues and clients over the years here; many of the employees (top to bottom) do seem to care about those who work with and for them. Many of the executives I worked for had "been there, done that" before moving up, and the company tied (still ties?) executives' performance to successful execution as well as sales. There is opportunity to try out a little (or a lot) of everything, not just stay in your silo, so you can get a well-rounded education in IT, business process, management and/or strategy which will help considerably in many future career paths. Lots of guidance, mentorship programs and training opportunities. Benefits are pretty good and extensive for those in the mainline consulting practice (25+ PTO days, retention of all points and statuses racked up during travel, extensive insurance plans, some support for life-changing events like adoptions, standard 401(k) match, ESPP). Because of the size of Accenture's clients, you often gain experiences (such as large complex globe-spanning projects, difficult and complex IT systems implementation or leading-edge strategy work) which is difficult to gain elsewhere. Accenture does seem to make an active effort to have a diverse executive team. It also seems to highly value professional and business ethics (although this is definitely a capitalist company). Company also seems to "give back" to each of the communities it has a presence in.

Cons

Lots of travel (can be pro or con depending on what you like). Work-life balance is definitely skewed towards work. Up-or-out model, which is good if you want to get promoted but not great if you want to spend more time at a particular level (unless you're senior management). Promotion process is somewhat fudgy. Pay is a little less than competitors for mainline consulting, and considerably less for those who wish to focus on technology. Lots of "people skills" required; this can be learned but there is no avoiding it. No clear upward path for those who wish to follow something other than the standard consulting "path" (i.e. implementation to management to sales / "account management"), so those who wish to specialize in execution of certain things may be forced to leave to obtain standard industry compensation for those skills. Work with some incompetent colleagues and clients over the years here. The work is sometimes "boring" (e.g.. not always cutting-edge) or painful (e.g. "rightsizing" projects). Lots of bureaucracy, and expect the occasional reorganization / change in strategy if you stay more than a few years. NOTE: Many of these "cons" are a part of being a consultant, so expect it from other consulting jobs as well.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a clearer upwards and/or retention path as well as competitive compensation for those who wish to specialize in a set of skills rather than become managers (i.e. technologists, business analysts or specialist consultants). People need to be given a chance to experience "life" rather than "work" - a fair number of people of both genders seem to leave to do basic things like get married or have kids. Company may also have to relax its fairly bureaucratic model of organization and execution and adopt a more flexible model to deal with upstart competitors, especially given the demand by newer companies for more flexibility and quicker speed to market.

Other Employee Reviews for Accenture

1. "Great People, Pay Could be Better"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people of Accenture. I've made some solid friends here and I generally don't mind working late hours beside people I actually like. Office culture is project-dependent, but if you work at Headquarters, dress is relatively formal. The organization is huge, but feels relatively horizontal. Everyone is on a first name basis. Work-life balance has been good in my experience. The amount of time one has available to pursue leisure activities will ebb and flow depending on the needs of his/her project and role.

Cons

The laddering/performance rating process is a crap shoot. If you start at the wrong time of year, you're screwed. If you have a career counselor who doesn't advocate for you, you're screwed. If your boss just doesn't like you, you're screwed. Compensation is lacking relative to other firms and year on year raises are low. However, promotions mean a significant bump in pay. Training used to be good, but they've cut back significantly.

"The MOST Dishonest place you can work"

Current Employee - Senior Business and Systems Integration Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Accenture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and 5 weeks of vacation a year. Also health benefits are out of this world.

Cons

You will be put on projects and be expected to learn a new programming language to mastery in under two weeks along with 5 or 6 different pieces of software.

I have never been so lied to by so many people throughout the corporate structure in all my life. I have been told I was incompetent. I made an ethical call one time and was judged harshly, had 4 managers contact me and each spend about 1 hour deballing me OUTSIDE of work hours, this was a clear case of ethical wrong doing. The only thing that stopped me from losing my job is I can't be replaced. You can be given the work of 2-4 people and are expected to be on time, so expect 80 hour weeks and up to 100 hour weeks if you travel.

You will be lied to in the job interview, you will be lied to in on boarding, you will be lied to about job roles, and you will be lied to by leadership. Everyone will tell you they are trying to help you, when no one really is trying to help you unless you are working with direct friends don't expect help from those around you. (I am a people person and can work with anyone). Everyone will lie to you in this company from the ground up, there are a few good people but out there but they make up about 1% of the company. Do not stay at this company longer than you have to. I make 85k a year out of college and am looking to take a pay cut just to leave this horrible company.

You will have no work life balance, you make a lot but you will have to give up just as much. I lost my long time girlfriend I was going to marry because of this company not being understanding, they will have you fly out to who knows where for sometimes little to no work and when on site while traveling they want you to work 12-15 hour days, don't expect a lunch break. I can go on and on.

PS
    Manager’s exact words to me were “It is not left up to you to make ethical decisions, leave that up to leadership “this statement was doubled down by many other managers during my deballing process. Never have I dealt with a total lack of professionalism. I am a total professional in everything I do and have never been met with such hostility for doing the right thing; I was also told my career was over in the company for making an ethical decision. So if you are ethical this isn't the place for you, they will go the way Anderson consulting did.

Get out while you can, and if you are looking for someplace to work this is not where you want to be.

Advice to Management

Support your team and workers, don't beat them down and stop lying to clients about how experience your very green team is. Be ethical rather than just doing lip service to it.