Accenture - Accenture Consulting Rocks, BPOs not so much | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Accenture

"Accenture Consulting Rocks, BPOs not so much"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've worked twice for Accenture, once in Consulting and once in one of the BPOs. Accenture Consulting is a great place to work. Challenging, interesting work, great comraderie, high rewards. You get to work with great people, and the work changes constantly.

Cons

For consulting, travel and work/life balance are very difficult. It can also be difficult to control the direction of your career, because you're often staffed where you're needed. It can be hard to build up expertise in a particular industry or technology. The BPOs are also very tough - they're the ugly stepchildren of Accenture. Accenture is putting a big push into BPO, but they haven't figured out how to integrate it well with the culture. It's viewed as a secondary career path, and people are not treated as well as in Consulting.

Advice to Management

Integrate BPOs into the culture and show you value them, or get out of the business. The two-tier system is not working.

Other Employee Reviews for Accenture

1. "Great place to work, just ain't for everyone"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Work with competent, talented, hard working people. Opportunities to volunteer for local organizations, even travel to third world countries to help and still get paid. Loads of career opportunities. Great for someone fresh out of college who doesn't know which direction to take their career in. Get to stay at amazing hotels, eat at fine restaurants, drive nice rental cars. Pay is good. Opportunities to explore any industry. Get to work with people from all over the world. It is a huge company and you get to plan your own career. No one will do it for you. If you're hardworking, motivated, and don't mind traveling all the time, this is the right place for you.

Cons

Cut-throat competition, traveling gets old after a while. Easy to gain weight when traveling. Some managers are too high-strung. Working with some of our clients who are incompetent and indecisive is frustrating, specially when the Accenture executives are too worried about insulting them. Company is huge and it's easy to get lost in the process- must find your own mentors and network to help you through the career process (a career counselor is assigned to every employee- they just might not be as involved in your career as you'd like. Like in all companies, there's a waste of money- you just have to learn that spending $2,000 for presentation materials is considered okay.

Advice to Management

More mentoring time for young starters. It's a huge company and it's easy to get lost in the process.

2. "Happy with Accenture so far."

Current Employee - Level D in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Level D in Camden, NJ

Pros

Accenture has a very diverse array of projects to choose from. If your current project is not to your liking, it's very easy to look for and apply for other positions withing the company. I feel that Accenture is trying to expand into new and interesting areas, since my company was acquired by Accenture in order to break into our area. During the transition, we have been informed and updated about new procedures and policies, which is not usual for most large companies. I feel that I will be able to grow in my current job, and I already have a definite path for advancement.

Cons

I prefer working for a small company, but so far, this large company is OK.

Advice to Management

Don't make the performance appraisal process so complicated.