Access Company - Good place to work, but questionable future | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Access Company

"Good place to work, but questionable future"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

you get to work on exciting technology

Cons

not a lot of buyers

Advice to Management

need more success in sales

Other Employee Reviews for Access Company

"Great job day-to-day, but where's the company going?"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

The ACCESS folks in Sunnyvale are the best team I've ever worked with - they're smart, hard working, and friendly. The programming is really interesting, and U.S. management lets us do our jobs without getting in the way.

ACCESS has offices and customers all over the world. It's great if you like to travel or work with people from other countries. And the folks at the non-U.S. offices are mostly pretty cool.

They're open to telecommuting, the health plan and bonus plan and other benefits are good, there's lots of free food, and free lattes in the break room.

Turnover is pretty low, and the hiring process is very selective, so you work with top-notch people.

I feel lucky to work here. Headhunters call and I just laugh.

Cons

The code/build/test cycle is very, very slow - but that's the same with any embedded system programming.

The QA team needs some training: "doesn't work" is not a bug report.

Top management is Japanese and hates to lose face or deliver bad news. If you want to know how the company is really doing, ignore what they say in company meetings and read the investor reports from the web site.

Advice to Management

You need to treat Americans like Americans, and we're not Japanese. Here are a few suggestions.

If the company lost money, admit it in the monthly company meeting. Usually, you just zip over that PowerPoint slide real fast and hope nobody notices - but when you do that, we do notice, and we remember 2007 when you laid off 40% of the company. So have some guts, tell the truth, and explain why we shouldn't start looking for another job. We'd respect you for it.

If you make American engineers work on too many dumb ideas that don't ship, they quit - especially in Silicon Valley, where top engineers can always find work. We've lost a lot of good people that way in the last few years. So when your customers have bad ideas, you need to learn to "just say no".

Many Americans don't just want a paycheck, we want to feel like the company we work for is going someplace. But it doesn't seem ACCESS has any goals, just knee-jerk reactions to customers. You need to tell us plainly where the ship is going, and show us that somebody is actually steering it that way.

2. "Living on borrowed time."

Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Status and industry. Access purchased the company formerly known as Palmsource and I started working for Palmsource. That's a well known name working in a hot industry, (mobile devices).

Cons

Access doesn't have their story clear on what the company formerly known as Palmsource is doing. They're aiming for a linux based set of applications and development system for mobile devices, but don't yet have a well defined product, clear customers, nor a revenue stream. It's been some time, (years), since Palmsource/Access released a money making product.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to either define their product and then find a suitable market or define their market and use that to define their product.