Accolade - Discrimination with a capital "D" - they blatantly lie from Day 1 | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Accolade

"Discrimination with a capital "D" - they blatantly lie from Day 1"

Current Employee - Clinical Health Assistant in Plymouth Meeting, PA
Current Employee - Clinical Health Assistant in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Accolade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary - but you'd think a company like Accolade would have better health plans to choose from...

Cons

You will never ever get promoted unless you are young, female and attractive. Some stewards can barely write their name but they are expected to lead a team of Health Assistants ? The executives are simply dishonest and plays favorites, and don't even try to hide it. They give new meaning to talking out of both sides of your mouth. You'll be told to give feedback - but God forbid if you mention something they don't want to hear. Employees who do not pull the company line will be systematically set up for failure. Oh and they will swear to you that Accolade is NOT a call center but it is and always will be a call center.

Instead of looking for reasons to support and promote you, Stewards look for reasons to keep you down. Again, the favoritism is blatant. I can tell you that my Steward once questioned me for being away from my station for 1 minute and 3 seconds. I have a health condition which causes me to urinate frequently - this is not made up - this is a true occurrence. They state from Day 1 "we are NOT a call center." Yet, when it comes to bonuses and raises, your "performance story" is based strictly on statistics. But no, it's not a call
center.

Advice to Management

To be brutally honest, you need to put someone in there who doesn't play favorites and who will say what she means and mean what she says. There has to be a better way to hire Stewards - too many holding that position are downright manipulative, have no skill set or experience and should have never been considered for the job. Stop blatantly lying about growth potential, as stated earlier, if you are young, female and good looking you have a shot - otherwise, you're screwed. I can tell you, and if I could I would name names, that there are many extremely talented people who have left Accolade because they were mistreated and disrespected.

The time is coming when these issues will come to a head. The negative reviews are posted for a reason. To those who turn a blind eye to this and just chalk it up to "disgruntled employees" think again. I live this on a daily basis and I witness to these issues first hand. I honestly believe this company will have a very, very hard time holding on to good people. The blatant favoritism, racism and sexism needs to stop

Other Employee Reviews for Accolade

"its a call center"

Former Employee - Clinical Health AssistantHealth Assistant ( RN) in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at Accolade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a nurse I was able to help my clients navigate the health care system and ensure they got the right care.
    That part was very rewarding. Co workers were great. Liked going to work , Pay and benefits are very good.

Cons

the constant evaluation and scrutiny they put you through could be improved, Middle management ( Stewards ) are out of control . I dont think upper management knows what goes on

Advice to Management

Everyone should be treated equally so watch what the stewards are really doing to people.

"Good work in theory, but in practice-- Rotting from the top down."

Current Employee - Health Assistant in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Health Assistant in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Accolade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay above average considering that its a call center.
    There are no set work policies, so it at least FEELS relaxed at first.

Cons

You have pressure from employer clients to decrease hold times, but are not held to any time standard for your call time, and, in fact they encourage the longer call. How can these two expectations and approaches to business exist in the same space???? They cannot and because Accolades leadership is too arrogant to admit they got this wrong, it makes the job hell for the Health Assistant and Clinical Health Assistant. Good luck.

The CEO admitted that he had no experience running a big company in a recent Town Hall. He also admitted and in fact praised the fact that they hire managers that do not have management experience. It shows, trust me it does.

There is an ongoing diversity issue there that is really bad for the African American employees there.

The computer system is unreliable. We are not giving our employees the best tools, in fact I would agree with the sentiment that the company is being irresponsible with its lack of attention to the infrastructure. Computer hell is beyond an understatement.

There are no set work policies.

They are not straightforward about what the real business they do is.(see the next point)

THE HEALTH ASSISTANT ROLE IS REALLY A DATA MINING AND SALES POSITION IN A CUSTOMER SERVICE CALL CENTER ENVIRONMENT. DO NOT BE FOOLED. The sale is of Accolades nurses--some of whom are extraordinary at their jobs, but most are average or below. As a health Assistant you have little control over the quality of your nurse partner. That has made for mediocre outcomes.

The ponzi scheme accusation is somewhat accurate because what the Health Assistant actually gets evaluated on is their: a. ability to data mine and extract as much personal information about the caller as you can, and b. their ability to sell Accolades 'services'. That is the long and short of it folks. Be warned.

The principles sound good on paper, but in reality they are making us data mine enough information so they can make the next sale to the next big employer client.

The benefits are subpar

The lie about you being salaried and any potential employee should be told the truth about their salary during the interview process

The interview process is arduous, which i fine, but it should lead to a quality employee pool.

They also have an issue with hiring men as Health Assistants.

There is no room there for a black male at all. The guy on our website is the ONLY black male manager we have. Do not be fooled, they crafted the site to appear to be something we are not, which is diverse. They get harrased, overscrutinized, provoked and eventually walked out of here. They are dropping like flies..... lost another one about a month ago and one 3 weeks before him. Those men did not suck at the job enough to lose it. We are now down to 6 black men out of 500 employees.

They are truly trying to be all things to all people. A jack of all trades is a master of none, yet they expect to be masters of everything.

They say they are not a call center, but they are.. you have all of the call center metrics present and they are a part of your evaluation. The calls you take are unscripted, so there is no time limit--but you have the pressure to take call after call after call. The business model is unsustainible as it stands. That confusion in Accolades true mission has led to low employee morale and subpar performance from the HA's.

The culture is inconsistent with Accolades stated mission. It feels good at first, so there are some that love the place, but as reality sets in, I realized they are the average company AT BEST, and in some ways ACCOLADE IS THE WORST EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD.

Advice to Management

My advice is to management and the board of directors which is to either clean house from the top down and restructure Accolade at its core(data management and infrustructure, support team, HR, executive staff AND first level management/stewards)

Sell it and let someone who knows what they are doing take over.