Ace Hardware - Best part was the people I worked with | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ace Hardware

"Best part was the people I worked with"

Former Employee - Cashier in Naperville, IL
Former Employee - Cashier in Naperville, IL

I worked at Ace Hardware part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at a suburban Chicago Ace for over four years. I was paid minimum wage, even after those four years. The main reason I stuck around was because of my co-workers. They're my second family and I've never felt that genuine connection between employees anywhere else I have worked. Our "regular" customers were another reason I worked there for so long. They were more like co-workers than customers - many of them knew their way around the store like the back of their hand.

Cons

Over my four years spent with Ace, I only made minimum wage. I was a good employee who attained a 100% on all the mystery shop evalulations I had recieved. The store manager was rude to both employees and customers, and drove sales down during the period in which she was there. It was also extremely difficult to take time off - even one day. Management required you to find someone to cover your shift in order to take that time off - but they never once allowed anyone to work overtime.

Other Employee Reviews for Ace Hardware

1. "This is a great place to learn about customer service!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Mokena, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Mokena, IL

I have been working at Ace Hardware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The customers are great! There is always a new project or challenge a customer has to solve. The employees are great!

Cons

Due to the economy, business has there has been difficult. Consequently, there has not been a salary increase in almost 6 years.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. They are your biggest asset not expense.

2. "Ex Store Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - General Manager in Akron, OH

I worked at Ace Hardware (More than 8 years)

Pros

Image of giant corporation but actually locally owned stores tailored to the community they serve.Can give you the feel of running your own business, depending on how oh hands the owner is.

Cons

The locally owned factor means each store will be managed differently. It all depends on the owner.

Advice to Management

Use your guidence by Ace to be as consistent as possible. Always look to use best practices and learn from your follow dealers.