Achievement First - Value-driven, sees strengths in individuals | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Achievement First

"Value-driven, sees strengths in individuals"

Current Employee - Student Services Manager in New Haven, CT
Current Employee - Student Services Manager in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Achievement First full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- annual 360 review by all peers
-semi annual performance review with team members
- network wide annual professional development event
- takes soft skills into account in performance
- very humane: life flexible, family friendly
- strong relationship with TFA, very low teacher turn over at most schools

Cons

- internal development is still evolving which can lead to lots of change and readjustment depending on location in company (new programs being rolled out, tweaking job descriptions, etc) - which can be a pro or con depending on your preference
- Career paths still being carved out (but very actively being worked on) - still establishing promotion ladders within each part of the organization

Other Employee Reviews for Achievement First

1. "Full-time teacher at Achievement First Bushwick Middle School (AFBMS)"

I have been working at Achievement First full-time

Pros

I've been teaching for 6 years, my first three at a different public school in NYC. I love working at Achievement First Bushwick Middle School (AFBMS) because of our outstanding leadership team, the talented and dedicated staff, and the fact that we are all aligned in our mission to close the achievement gap. At AFBMS, you will have a coach who will push you on just about everything - your instruction, classroom culture, mindsets, and time management. I've learned so much as a teacher, a leader, and a person from my 3 years at AFBMS, and I know I am going to continue to grow in years to come at our school. We are really pushing on how to maintain our high academic expectations while also developing an authentic, joyful school where our students love coming every day. Our academic gains have been massive, and we rival the top schools in higher socioeconomic settings like Rye and Scarsdale, NY. I can honestly say that no other charter middle school is doing it better than we are here at AFBMS.

Cons

If you are invested in working hard and giving everything you've got, AF is the place for you. You will learn a ton, and be apart of an incredible team. That said, we do work long hours and we demand a lot from our teachers. No more than other charter schools, but just know that coming in. Also, because we have such a talented staff, it can be tough coming in as a new teacher. Expect to struggle at first. You will get better fast, but be prepared for a potentially tough transition.

2. "AF"

I have been working at Achievement First full-time

Pros

-Strong belief in ALL children succeeding

-Accepts all children regardless of disability a good education

-Strives to give every child a good education

-Coaches are great thought partners

- Your job matters a ton, so give it 100% daily

-Consistent staff development and PD

-Tons of resources available within the network

-Passionate team members

-The families and children are amazing

Cons

-Work-life balance can be a challenge because you want to make sure you are always doing the best for your students