Employee Review

Current Employee, more than 5 years

Mission-aligned and hardworking team

Mar 31, 2021 - Network Support in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Positive impact on students. Willingness to adjust as necessary. Smart team with strong execution.

Cons

Problematic history with no excuses. Strong personalities can lead to conflict. Frequent change can limit positive momentum.

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good

Oct 13, 2021 - Substitute Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great staff and benefits here

Cons

Downside was some of the staff were rude at times

Continue reading
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Start If Teaching Without Experience

Sep 1, 2021 - Teacher-In-Residence in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Achievement First trains you on what's really important: classroom management and how to create/deliver a lesson. As a TIR it's very hands on and you can see everything you need to do in person (or by example). We help distribute school breakfast and lunch daily and observe classes with our time in between. We help teachers by making copies and managing the class as well so that the load is lighter. Gradually over time, TIRs take more responsibility in the classroom and should be prepared to teach by the end of the year. Earlier work shift: Yes this might sound like a bad thing but the bright side is that you get WAY MORE DONE earlier in the day than later. Parking and traffic isn't as bad so as soon as you get used to getting up earlier, it's great. It's become a wonderful new habit I developed this year.

Cons

It is an earlier work day and longer than 8 hours (9 hour shift). If you start as a TIR, it doesn't mean that you will stay as a TIR for a full year. When the need is met, you can be offered a teaching position, which is great! However, depending on the person, you might feel rushed into it. But thankfully there's always two teachers for each class so you won't be alone! My school is great, and I love being here but I know it's not the same across the board for other schools.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Achievement First.