Acosta - Good part time job to have | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Acosta

"Good part time job to have"

Current Employee - Retail Coverage Merchandiser

I have been working at Acosta part-time

Pros

decent pay, make your own schedule if you want, start your day when you want, monday through friday, your boss not breathing down your neck

Cons

not many chances for full time, I personally need more money and full time, depending on your prior background in retail, this job may or may not be a challenge for you

Advice to Management

no advice: my manager is really nice and understands greatly what we go through in the stores

Other Employee Reviews for Acosta

"Unrealistic Expectations and Unfair Pay Practices"

Current Employee - Retail Coverage Merchandiser

I have been working at Acosta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and personal flexibility. You can plan your own schedule and you work alone while being out among people.

Cons

Acosta assigns more store visits than you possibly do, due to the travel involved. Additionally, they take 2 hours and 40 miles a day from your salary and call this commute time, so you end up getting ripped off nearly $1,000 per month and working 50 hour weeks. It is particularly unfair to anyone that has a rural route where you have to drive hundreds of miles everyday! Moreover, they won't pay overtime and set unrealistic expectations about how much time should be spent on administration and planning. You are give two hours a week outside the stores to handle shipments, email, expense reports, mileage input, ordering, hotel reservations, and more. The supervisors push, push, push for extended store time and results, but do not take into consideration of what is humanly possible due to chance, weather, driving conditions, etc. Google maps is not a crystal ball that can predict that it will only take two hours to get somewhere, and it seems that everyone understands this except for those that run Acosta teams. They have taken what should be an enjoyable and rewarding job and turned it into an exercise of fighting the clock for pay and management for fairness. Within weeks you could find yourself feeling cheated by what appears to be nickle and dime corporate greed.

Advice to Management

If someone is automatically having to drive over 2,500 miles a month for your company, give them a better travel package than the suburban and city representatives that have 20 stores in a 40 mile radius. Particularly cut down that offensive 10 hours a week of commute time! We are not commuting! We are going to visit a different place everyday and very often that place is 2 and 3 hours from our home. Not being paid the first and last hour might be great for Acosta but your people feed used and abused over it! If a representative has to stay out more than 3 nights a month, then give them REAL per diem, and not $25 a day which they must ask to get returned. Don't assign 35 hours of store time to people that have stores that are spread out over 5 counties, and then tell them that they have to get the ALL done and stay under 40 hours! Talk to your rural representatives and find out how your across the board mandates effect them.

"don't get suckered in"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser

I have been working at Acosta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexibility is the only good thing about the job

Cons

one day they'll be sued - I have to use my personal car, internet, computer, phone and credit cards when traveling... their reimbursement rate for mileage is 15-35 cents/mile (um, federal rate is 55.5?). Plus they don't "count" the first/last 20 miles of driving or the first/last hour. For people who are used to minimum wage jobs, this seems like a dream... but I'm making 12 bucks an hour - with expensive benefits and pay out the yazoo for car maintenance/gas/etc... driving about 3k/mo for work... oh, had to get a new car too, because during work hours my car was totaled (acosta didn't care)... like I said, one day they'll be sued for their absolutely horrendous expectations for those of us who are in the field.... I would NOT recommend this company in any manner whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Look into your business practices... consider slimming down the ivory tower and providing vehicles for us full-time associates who are pretty much killing our personal cars to make money to use our personal cars.