Acquia - No work life balance | Glassdoor

"No work life balance"

I worked at Acquia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, being a part of company that is growing rapidly. there are plenty of activities that work to bring the teams together, and plenty of free beer to fill those activities. For the most part there are a lot of great people there but that is changing quickly.

Cons

No work life balance at all and there is no room for error. They like to think that they are all having fun and it's great to be there but I think they do that to disguise the hours that you have to be there. Even if you are done with your work and have nothing to do, don't even think about leaving before 6:30. Even if it's a family emergency

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach! and take sometime to work with your employees to reach a goal

Acquia Response

Aug 9, 2013 – CEO

I'm confused by your comments. In Pros, you admit its a fun atmosphere. In Cons, you state that folks are disguising their fun. I agree that it's hard work. That's the nature of a start-up, and... More

Other Employee Reviews for Acquia

"tsunami effect"

I have been working at Acquia full-time

Pros

Great work environment. Very open, collaborative, free food and drinks all the time! Fun culture, monthly activities and team building. Friendly co workers.

Cons

Really a sink or swim experience. Somewhat overwhelming when you start and there is really no one to help you after onboarding. You kind of have to find your own way. There seems to be a lot of ego rolling around the office as well which doesn't help the communication among some of the staff.

Acquia Response

Aug 9, 2013 – CEO

Very pleased you love our culture and values. It's the center of creating a great company in my opinion, and we work hard to sustain them. Certainly helps, because as you rightfully point out... More

"An amazing culture and opportunity"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Acquia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Acquia has definitely been the formative experience of my career. The calibre of people here is amazing and humbling. I regularly leave meetings with my colleagues thinking 'she is amazing. How did she get so smart?'.

Fantastic coaching and engagement from my direct managers. I really respect their skillset and experience and they genuinely care about me as a person and my career development.

Their are fantastic opportunities for growth here if you really engage. I have been able to work on lots of things I find very interesting and people are always happy to have your help and to coach you.

I've been exposed to incredible customers and work on very interesting, real-world problems and projects with a clear focus from everyone on providing real value to the customer.

When I joined, there was about 280 employees. Now there is over 800, and our revenue is many multiples of what it was then. It's very exciting to feel part of that success.

Underlying all that is the satisfaction of promoting and contributing to the Drupal community, which is a very inclusive, supportive, and welcoming movement. Every new sale means extending the opportunities offered by that community to more people.

Dan Pink wrote a great book, Drive, about what really motivates people. The core thesis: Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose. Acquia nails all of those and even five years in I am excited by the company and my work.

Cons

Process heavy, sometimes at the expense of doing the best or most effective thing for our customers, which means that individuals have to plug the gaps - we are great at that, and get great results, but sometimes it feels we are working against our own processes.

Overall direction and strategy changes quite often. This is maybe a symptom of working in such a dynamic space, but it can be fatiguing.

Hard work and sometimes long hours. Product and packaging changes require continuous re-training. You need to be someone who genuinely enjoys your work - the culture of teamwork and "win as one" is not for everyone. That's not a criticism of any particular work style, but you need to be the sort of person who is ok getting on a call with someone on another continent at 10PM at night on a Friday if that is what it takes to get something done (this kind of stuff is rare but does happen).

We are in a much much MUCH better place that we have ever been on this stuff but maintaining a kaizen and kata is great discipline for all of us!

Advice to Management

Try to maintain some consistency in vision and strategy. I like the product approach of "plan of vision, plan of intent, plan of record". It would be great to feel that we are all clearly aligning.