Activant Solutions (California) - Weak management dilutes opportunity for success | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Activant Solutions (California)

"Weak management dilutes opportunity for success"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

The employees within Activant made it a good place to be. As long as you worked with Directors and below, you had a good chance of success and satisfaction. Geographic location was also a consideration. I lived closed to the office, thus it was worth staying.

Cons

Poor management skills. VP and Sr VP titles handed out based on longevity vs. capabilities. Most VP level executives are simply waiting for their tour of duty to end. No feeling of responsibility toward employees under them. The world is theirs -- we simply live in it.

Advice to Management

Build something. Stop hanging on. Offer visions and strategies, so employees know where the ship is headed. Come to terms with the fact that you are not the smartest people in the company, and let others contribute.

Other Employee Reviews for Activant Solutions (California)

"Too much reactionary cost cutting, need more strategic leadership."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Large organization. Good people overall as employees.

Cons

Management is too focused on EBITDA and not enough attention is paid to growing the company. Too many platforms to manage effectively. Sr. Management seems a little too shortsighted and overcontrolling.

Advice to Management

Hire good people and trust them to make decisions in their departments. Focus on growing the company's top-line and the EBITDA will follow. Lead by example.

"Although I was good at what I did and received good management reviews, I was always worried about losing my job"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

Co-workers were some of the best people I have ever worked with. The benefits package and salary were highly competetive. Always had a flexible work schedule with no trouble getting time off.

Cons

Absolutely no formal training! My job was complex and it was virtually impossible for anyone to have the skill set and knowledge to complete the required job tasks. Learning was accomplished by asking my co-workers (and interupting their work) many times over and over through the course of a two year span of time. After two years, I pretty much knew what I was doing but still had to bother my colleages from time to time.

Management would only give raises to the elite employees...The chosen ones!!! All other employees (about 80% of the total work force) received no raises for several years.

Management never valued the employees. As stated earlier, no training or raises were provided. Also, great employees were either laid off or fired. There was never any recognition for a job well done and I never knew if I was doing a good job or not. There was very little effective communication between management and employees.

Advice to Management

Value your employees!!! Quit focusing solely on the profit margin and create a positive work environment. Laying off good employees year after year to increase the bottom line will bite you on the rear end!