Active Network - I work with good people, like my boss, and enjoy the work I do | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Active Network

"I work with good people, like my boss, and enjoy the work I do"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time

Pros

The people who do the heavy lifting at the company are great, my immediate boss is a good person, plus I have flexibility to work from home when I need to and enjoy working in San Diego. The company encourages health and fitness for their employees, catering to the young professional.

Cons

Management changed hands in the last 1.5 years, the new group appears to care very little about the morale of people who work at Active, plainly stating that we are all replaceable so if we can't do the work we should go elsewhere. Lower and middle management seem to live in fear of "the wrath" of the new guys.

Advice to Management

I think it would help a lot if you could at least pretend to care about the little guys. With the stock price as low as it is and morale even lower, we may not be as "replaceable" as you think.

Other Employee Reviews for Active Network

1. "Not a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Applications Support in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Applications Support in Boulder, CO

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a casual dress environment. The CEO used to cater lunch on Fridays.

Cons

Initially it was a small company. If you didn't fit in with the people with power... watch out.

Advice to Management

Management needs to mentor, grow their own talent so there isn't as much turnover.

"Turbulent, chaotic and disingenuous change in leadershi["

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The original promise of Active Network, a cloud-based SaaS company that provides technology solutions to event organizers is sound. There is a lot of potential yet to be realized in this space, and ACTIVE Network (they now refer to themselves as "ACTIVE" - all caps) is still poised to compete and bring a lot of value to the marketplace. The company culture is one that celebrates professional and personal performance - and offers a variety of health and fitness-related benefits, most notably, the corporate wellness program ActiveX. Although, this advantageous culture has been displaced by a post-IPO leadership team - interested only in the performance of the stock price quarter to quarter. But there are still a good number great people at ACTIVE.

Cons

The company's once-thriving work hard/play hard culture has been turned upside-down. The post-IPO leadership "transition" was the worst I've ever witnessed. The new executive management team did not buy in to, or even seem to appreciate, the original mission of the company - making the world a better place by getting people moving. In an overtly condescending manner, they proceeded to dismantle product development plans - replacing them with tactics they had used before, yet presented them as "innovations", and effectively motivated a significant percentage of their truly talented employees to find work elsewhere. Attrition continues at an alarming rate. Leadership's plans to "shake things up", "thin the herd", and get those who "can't take the heat" out of the kitchen have backfired in a big, big way. Financial and stock performance reflect the very poor management.

Advice to Management

Own up to the fact that your plans to develop a high-performing public company at the expense of the positive culture that was your foundational strength was a mistake that needs to be addressed and rectified.