Active Network - So much potential sadly unfulfilled | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Active Network

"So much potential sadly unfulfilled"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* A handful of great people
* A noble mission
* The potential to corner the online-registration market -- in ALL areas -- and be part of a truly dominant company
* The location and the emphasis on healthy lifestyles

Cons

* Divisive C-level management: the never-ending tug-of-war between divisions crippled the overall execution
* Wishy-washy upper management who constantly shifted strategies in response to that tug-of-war
* Poor integration of the huge numbers of acquisitions added to the confusion
* And now, from what is heard, the new management is accelerating the mayhem.

Advice to Management

Manage. Seriously: manage. Lead. Don't say one thing and do another. Do your job. Then hire the right people and empower them to do their jobs. An example: let designers (not the COO) design. And all of the military analogies the former CEO used to spout about loyalty (given the his West Point background) ring hollow given his actions.

Other Employee Reviews for Active Network

"You feel stuck here. It was hard to describe what the company is therefore you loose motivation"

Current Employee - Associate Production Artist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Production Artist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very Laid Back (Also a con, I came to find out)
    Engouraged employees to maintain active lifestyles
    CEO was super chill and provided booze at all gatherings

Cons

THE PAY IS HORRIBLE
    Medical insurance SUCKS (Shitty PPO w/deductable)
    You don't feel like you have a purpose here or are "Changing the world" in any way

Advice to Management

The number one thing employees complained about was low salaries. I was paid at the bottom of the industry, expect 1% annual raises, 3% IF you're lucky. Management won't let you apply for other internal positions within the first year of employment. Benefits are horrible, no Kaiser HMO, just a crappy PPO with $500 deductible. There was a community gym at the San Diego office. The building is modern, 4th floor is brand new and nice, all the other floors are very quiet with cubes, and feel a bit neglected compared to the openness and beauty of the 4th floor.

The company has HIGH turnover, most people seem to stay less than a year, which is why they are "Hiring" so much and they flood the job seeking websites. That's not good growth in my opinion. They are publically traded, but the stock price is dismal at best. They will buy you equipment of your choice, but you will be stuck with what you got because they are cheap, so demand a retina Macbook and Cinema display at hire. The breakroom has a ping pong table, but honestly, I think it's just a way to shift employees attention away from the bad pay. $300 ping pong table was a good investment too sheilf the employees from reality.

The only positive thing about it is the idea that the job is very very laid back. Take breaks, eat at your desk, take lunches whenever (within reason). Unless you get a manager who takes the job a bit too seriously, which some people do. Outside of work, not many people are too interested in the fact I worked there, especially because it's hard to explain what the company actually is. Not very good for pride.

"Lots of great people, terrible management"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some very talented and passionate co-workers.

Cons

One of the 'tallest' org charts I've ever worked in... as a 'Team Lead', I had four people between me and the SVP in charge of our group. Seems like there are more managers than workers.

Advice to Management

You need half as many managers, and managers should be there to empower employees to work together, not to make decisions and hand them down from on high.