Activision - Successful at serial products, in danger of talent drain | Glassdoor

"Successful at serial products, in danger of talent drain"

Associate Producer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Activision

Pros

Pros: - #1 publisher, recognizable on the resume - Enormous resources (if your project is deemed worthy) - Motivation comes from working with dedicated people (in production, not sure of other depts)

Cons

Cons: - milking the margins comes first. So, if you love games, be prepared to leave that love at the door - the project you're on matters a lot more than it should, even if you're doing as much or less than someone on a less prominent title. recognition and reward follows the revenue-generators only. - all other departments will get recognition before production (if production even gets recognized). it shows in... the bonus/incentive structure. it shows in the promotion rate. it shows in all the company events that the executives speak in. - it always felt like the execs just want to be in hollywood. they make frequent, huge expenditures to play with hollywood instead of investing it back into the company (new IPs?) or its employees.

Advice to Management

you need to retain top talent through any 2 of the 3 (at least): compensation, growth opportunity, and security.

Activision2011-05-30
  1. "The Best Job I Have Ever Had and Likely Will Ever Have"

Former Employee - QA Playtester in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Activision full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Worked with some of the most hilarious and interesting people I have ever met. - Highly relaxed atmosphere and extremely friendly gamer culture. - Management, seniors, leads, were all amazing and really cared about you. - A lot of flexibility if you have plans for a few days or weekend. - Work on the biggest upcoming projects in gaming before the public has any clue. - Real life look into the behind the... scenes of AAA game development that very few will ever have the chance to see. - The work never got stale, leads rotated everything very well, a ton of moving parts that made every single day very unique. - Pay was great for younger people and college students working over the summer. with a lot of overtime available. - Meaningful tasks where your specific individual work will directly affect the game that millions of people will play. - Name in credits, sweet one-off Activision and game specific gear - I got paid to show up to work on, make an impact on, and play a game and a series that was/is a defining part of my life. I would have 1000% worked for free.

Cons

- The weekly hours can feel a bit long sometimes, but the day goes by extremely quick. Do not let long the hours scare you away from applying whatsoever.. - Had to head to back school, wish I could have continued working there, was super sad walking out my last day. I will continue to miss working here probably forever ;(

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys are doing, team is amazing. HR hires the best people.

Activision2019-09-20
  2. "If i would have found this job when i was younger i would stay a lot longer."

Current Employee - QA Tester in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Activision full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Activision is amazing in so many ways. The people around you are helpful and fun to meet and talk to. The management is better than most jobs ive had but still could have been better. If you enjoy playing video games or are in to the video game industry this job is everything you want it to be and the pride you will feel being apart of the industry is real. The pay while not being amazing is def worth... the work and during crunch times you will make lots of money because of the over time. The place is a VERY inclusive work place for any and all backgrounds and for the most part everyone feels included and can make friends in a safe environment. i absolutely love working here and i wish i was at a point in my life that i could stay but because of the con its just not able to work out for me. if i would have found this job several years ago i would probable still be working for this company to this day.

Cons

No life, especially on the night shift. if you work nights during crunch you are forking 12 hour shifts 6 nights a week. It instantly kills all social life you have outside of work. This at first didnt seem like that big of an issue for me but all my relationships are falling apart because i get one day a week to see anyone or do anything unless i sacrifice my sleep. also the length of work is questionable. its... a full time temp position meaning your employment is limited and most dont even last the full length because they lay people off due to company needs. so job security is non existent.

Activision2019-09-25

Discover more reviews about Activision.