Actuate - Great Company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Actuate

"Great Company to work for."

Former Employee - BIRT in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - BIRT in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Actuate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good technology and work environment, great team and people. I like the open environment that you have a chance to learn everything and anything you want to learn.

Cons

I don't really have a con. If I must say one, I would say they may need to spend more energy and money to promote BIRT, a great open source tool.

Advice to Management

Work harder.

Other Employee Reviews for Actuate

"Worst Decision of my life"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Actuate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have no Pros. I need five words at least for a Pro. So here it is, You will learn how not a company or a engineering team should be.

Cons

Ah where do I begin. No work organization or stable decision making. They are using old technologies. They call themselves Agile which means change requirements, scope whenever you like and screw engineers. They have never bothered to learn anything else about Agile.

Managers, directors have been working at actuate for 13-20 years and have no idea what new technologies are , how are thing managed in 21st century. Suggestions are never heard, response is always "this is how it has been since the last 20 years". There is always resistance to positive change.

Worst Product Management I have seen in my career. Tech Leads have no skills only bad attitude.

Lately there have been layoffs and of course high attrition rate for engineers. Engineers cannot learn or gain any experience here. They have age old technology stack that is not used anywhere these days. Work experience gained here is of no use.

Totally forgot , there are more directors and vice presidents than engineers who do the actual work. There is a director and then a senior director .There is a vice president and then a senior vice president and all for small team of 5-6 engineers. Not surprisingly they all do nothing or the same thing.

Honestly if you layoff your directors and VP's they wont get a job elsewhere because they have no skills and they never bothered upgrading the little they learnt 20 years ago.

Advice to Management

I dont see a future . Sell the company as soon as you can. If you are planning to run the company, fire all engineering directors, vice presidents and product managers. Hire someone who is open to innovation and has an outlook. You have way too many directors/VP's .

2. "Great"

I have been working at Actuate full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good technology and work enviornment

Cons

No clear strategic message from management