Acumen - Great place to start/learn, communication could improve | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Acumen

"Great place to start/learn, communication could improve"

I have been working at Acumen full-time

Pros

- Great place to start as a post-graduate as the company is owned by a Stanford professor
- has collegiate feeling, consisting mostly of low to mid 20's
- flexible work hours

Cons

- very little work/life balance
- most managers do not have management skills - they were promoted because of seniority (definitely not all but applies to most)
- poor communication from management which causes us to do something last minute and spend numerous hours on it after business hours
- borderline laid back and unprofessional work atmosphere
- company gives off vibe that employees are replaceable; therefore employees leave the company after around a year - sets company culture that this is not a good place to make a career out of

Advice to Management

- hire more upper management staff who have good management/communication skills
- set up more employee retention programs

Mar 10, 2014 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for this feedback. We are happy to hear you feel working under Managing Member and professor, Dr. Thomas MaCurdy is a great place as a post-graduate. You’ll be happy to hear our Human ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Acumen

"Getting Better"

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst

I have been working at Acumen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place for new graduates looking to gain experience by doing a wide array of very interesting and rewarding work, all the while developing marketable and profitable skills and a sense of achievement. Acumen also shows an interest in employee feedback, and makes changes accordingly. Acumen also offers different career paths depending on employee skills and preferences.

Cons

Less than optimal location for commuters. Progress as an employee within the firm can feel a bit sluggish at times. You may wind up working on projects that do not take advantage of your skill set and limit your learning potential.

Mar 10, 2014 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to write this feedback. We take all feedback into consideration and make changes accordingly.

"Great research, poor management"

I worked at Acumen full-time

Pros

Can only speak to the research side. You will gain great research experience. You will become an expert at SAS. Acumen has a lot of great data. I only got to work on one area, but it seemed like there was a wide variety of interesting projects. While the skills are somewhat niche, they can be carried over to jobs at other research firms or in the health industry if you want.

Most of the people you will work with are smart and are largely in their 20's. This can give it a sort of college or startup vibe, although without the perks. Its pretty social.

The company is in the peninsula, but has a nice location right on the bay.

Cons

Project management was particularly bad at Acumen. From what I could tell, senior management did not understand the importance of having a clear reporting structure and clear, timely direction. It was difficult to know who was in charge of the project at any given time. This led to miscommunication, missed deadlines, last minute work, and constant lurching from one strategy to another. These problems are especially prevalent in work involving the CEO. The stress from these problems leads many people to leave after a year or two.

Conflict management is poor; managers tend to ignore problems or sweep them under the rug rather than dealing with issues in a mature, open and honest way.

If you're looking to learn from or be mentored by someone more experienced, this may not be the place for you, as most managers, including some senior ones, are only a few years out of college. On the flip side, you can rise higher and gain more responsibility faster than you would somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Read up on project management

Apr 25, 2014 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

We are lucky to be located in such a beautiful area right on the bay. Thank you for this feedback. You would be happy to hear we have just completed a management training course for our project ... More