Addus Healthcare - One of the worst companies to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Addus Healthcare

"One of the worst companies to work for"

Current Employee - Agency Director
Current Employee - Agency Director

Pros

Compensation and benefits are fair. Reputation in community is neutral. Close to home. There are some competent people in middle management.

Cons

Unbelievable mis-management! Complete lack of communication throughout organization. Micromanage you every move. You are responsible for SOC's, yet sales reports to sales and has zero accountability for not meeting their goals. All of the executive management, with the exception of Mark Heaney are new.

Advice to Management

Stop! Think for a minute! Perhaps the reason that these HH agencies have been unsucessful is the barriers that management puts out in front of you, that does not allow you to do your job! Regional Directors should have the opportunity to work one on one with their agencies and stop global micromanging

Other Employee Reviews for Addus Healthcare

1. "Working with Addus"

Pros

You can work for a relative. It is flexible and if you want more work you can do that too.

Cons

They were pretty slow about starting work. But it may be different for others.

"Bittersweet"

Former Employee - In-Home Care Provider in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - In-Home Care Provider in Rockford, IL

I worked at Addus Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons I enjoyed working at Addus was having a good repoire with my immediate supervisor. She listened, gave me as many hours as I wanted to work (up to 40), and was good about time off (which I hardly ever took during my 3.5 years of service.) Was lucky to have wonderful clients and still have fond memories of them. Another benefit is the many Addus offices across the country to work for if ever one decides to relocate. The best benefit I received working at Addus was an inner assurance that my work and time was spent wisely caring and helping seniors advance in life.

Cons

The downsides at Addus unfortunately outweigh the pros. The choice to work with aging/health care is one I persue so money is not the big factor for me like it may be for someone with dependants. With that said, aides are hired at $10.00 an hour with a nickle increase for each year of service. (After ten years of service you could be earning $10.50 an hour. ) Addus does give employees sick time. If you work 8 hours a day, but home 3 days sick in bed , you lose $240.00. Providers are paid take care of those who can't help themselves, but when the helper falls ill Aduss doesn't provide for them Addus employees are expected to work holidays and get paid time and half. If an employee takes a holiday off, they are required to make the time up at regular pay within the 2 week pay period. Wages are also low to the employee if a client contacts Addus and requests no service on any particular day the employee is scheduled. Two ways to make up for the lost income is if the client agrees the Home Care Provider come on a later date, or if the supervisor has you fill in for an employee who has called in sick or takes the day off. If you work an 8 hour shift you'll have to eat lunch on the road between clients. Addus does pay 43 cents a mile to get from one client to another AFTER your first stop. For example, my first client of the day is in Polo. Although it is an 18-19 mile drive, I get no compensation since it is my first client of the day. If you have a CNA certificate you a added to their internal system as a certified CNA but Addus does not offer any benefit for the certificate. The only benefit of having a CNA certificate with Addus and it being in their system is the certificate continues to stay active (certificates expire after two years of inactivity when you're not employed as a CNA.)While Addus conforms to state regulations and has paid quarterly meetings they left me feeling that only the truely dedicated Home Care Provider is nothing more than a Glorified Housekeeper. The few people who may enjoy work at Addus are high school graduates looking for their first job, people who REALLY care about our seniors, or people who are self motivators and enjoy working independly.

Advice to Management

Major turnover in superisors- 3 in three years. As a Home Care Provider who does not work directly with management it is obvious from the outside (including client's perspective) that supervisors are being given more work than they can perform. This is a poor reflection on Senior management. I've witness numerous times when clients come back from hours of dialysis and have not been informed their Home Care Provider won't be there for service. Likewise, countless times clients have called Addus and never received a call back, How frustrating it is for old, tired and sick person to not get a return call. Communications was at an all time low the first two years of my employment, the third year it improved when the supervisor got a part time assistant. There is no commarade between upper management and Home Care Providers- even during holidays. Who knows anything about the owner(s) or board of directors at Addus? What about HR, is there one. My experience with Addus is that it is a stepping stone to motivate one to further their advancement somewhere else.