Adfero - Small but ambitious - your experience here is what you make of it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Adfero

"Small but ambitious - your experience here is what you make of it."

I have been working at Adfero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Each employee truly has control of their own destiny - you can make your own success.
Entrepreneurial & collaborative office culture.
The people there genuinely enjoy spending time with each other.

Cons

Small firm experiencing rapid growth, which can lead to some operational hiccups. Have a bit of a "figure it out as we go" mentality.

Other Employee Reviews for Adfero

"Best Place to Launch PR Career"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

I worked at Adfero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture: Having been at a new company for some time now, I can say that Adfero has the best possible culture. Not only can every (good) employee recite the four core values, but they are employee-focused. It's very inclusive and open, making for happy and accountable employees.

Career Growth: Adfero focuses heavily on individual growth from quarter to quarter and year over year. Constructive feedback is helpful, so long as you take it. I saw plenty of people over time take it personally, but for those of us who took as an opportunity to grow, we succeeded. You have measurable goals and objectives so it's truly up to you to prove yourself.

Opportunity: Like anywhere else, opportunities are there; it's what you make of them that really define your experience at Adfero. I was constantly putting myself out there, and thus rewarded with new clients and awesome opportunities. The key was putting myself out there to prove I could keep doing more.

Senior Management: They've grown the business tremendously, so that's saying something (both in revenue and size of staff). The people are open to feedback and most importantly, they look to the entire staff to help shape the culture, processes and experiences.

I left the company because an amazing opportunity to work in-house somewhere popped up, and I couldn't pass it up. I left on great terms and still lean on some of the staff for mentoring, as well as keep in touch with my former mentees and supervisees.

Cons

Workload: It ebbs and flows just like any PR firm. Sometimes people are really overloaded, but as long as you ask for help (one of the core values is all working together in times like this), you should be fine.

Bad eggs: In my years there, there was always a person or two who wasn't bought into the culture or didn't care to perform well. It's a client services business and that can really weigh on your experience there. They are all eventually weeded out though.

Pay: Let me be clear - pay is on par with other PR firms. However, pay at PR firms isn't as high as other industries or for many in-house PR opportunities. It's marginal, though.

Advice to Management

Keep growing. Continue to focus on building a company of great people and great service. It has, and will continue to pay off.

"Perception Not Equal to Reality"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Adfero full-time

Pros

Small office allows employees to take on as little or as much responsibility as they desire, with in reason. Employees can't get "lost in the crowd."

Mentorship program allows employees on different accounts or with different experiences to
    engage and grow.

Communication between leadership and staff is frequent and appropriate.

Management allows staff to "own" morale.

Located at the intersection of 17th and K Street, the Adfero office space is centrally located and easily accessible on the Red, Orange and Blue train lines of WMATA.

Cons

Adfero Group salaries are not competitive with many other PR firms in the D.C. area, however, they do engage in a profit-sharing bonus program throughout the year. 401(k) matching contributions are either around or below the national average.

For a private firm of 35 employees, 20-25 whom work on accounts, there are a high number of "titles." Account coordinator, assistant account executive, account executive, senior account executive, account supervisor, senior account supervisor, vice president and senior vice president? This doesn't take into account the various "C-level" positions, such as a partner(s), COO or CFO, HR, directors and managers of various shapes and sizes and the IT folks. It seems to be overkill for a firm that has hovered between 30 and 35 employees over the recent past, and in my opinion, a tool to spread out the firm's ability to "promote".

While Adfero management allows staff to "own" morale, this can translate into "cheap" thrills, as the firm doesn't spend much on office activities.

Office politics apply to a small organization like this, as it does anywhere, but with less acknowledgement, including its share of "scandal".

Adfero has a number of "off-site" accounts, but does a poor job incorporating employees on those accounts back into the desired "Adfero culture". Beyond not effectively incorporating these employees, Adfero also failed to protect a number of employees on a difficult federal contract. Adfero team members instituted a "No Tears Tuesdays," committing to not crying on the job while dealing with the difficult federal client. If that doesn't scream "unhealthy work environment" I'm not sure what does. And despite being aware of this difficult contract and client, Adfero leadership did very little to shield its employees.

Turn-over seems to be extremely high, arrising from a mix of personality conflicts, reactions to lack of leadership support, low/not reasonable pay levels and "busy work" which clients are billed for. Some people are "fired," "asked to leave" or leave on their own. An interesting project would be to take screen shots of Adfero's "Our Team" page to see the steady march of experienced folks out the door, replaced by relative "newbies" in the PR industry. The turn-over does affect the morale of Adfero employees.

Advice to Management

Adfero management would benefit from truly working to embody the "culture" it claims to identify with. There is a sweet spot between revenue and human resources, between the needs of a contract and the needs of employees. Included in that sweet spot is fair pay for experience and performance, timely acknowledgement of good work and real promotions/bonuses, and representation of the needs of the workforce, while meeting the needs of contracts and clients. Finding this "sweet spot" will require Adfero Group leadership to be honest with itself and employees. the firm offers a great service and a good level of experience for clients, but falls short, on some level, when meeting the needs and concerns of employees.